Article <v3nna7$hqrj$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v3nna7$hqrj$1@dont-email.me>

From: NFN Smith <worldoff9908@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Tire patch failure
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2024 11:44:21 -0700

Roger Merriman wrote:
> Catrike Ryder <Soloman@old.bikers.org> wrote:
>>
>> I collected two old leaky tire tubes and proceeded to patch them. I've
>> patched many tire and never had any problems. The patches all leaked
>> and I discovered I could pull them off.  I patched them again and
>> pulled them off again. The patches were labeled "Thumbs Up," made in
>> China, and came in a large quantity. The tubes were Continental.  Has
>> anyone else used these patched or had this problem. At any rate,
>> beware what I believe is a faulty product.
>>

> I’ve certainly had pre glued patch’s that just haven’t worked. But to be
> honest my bikes either don’t have tubes (Gravel bike) or the MTB last
> puncture was 10 years ago! I’ve gone through a few tires, drive chain parts
> and am getting a new rear shock fitted (hopefully) as it’s started to loose
> air.

I don't know what Catryke is using, but to me, pre-glued patches are
ones for getting home if flatting on a ride, but not permanent repair.

If he's using the pre-glued patches, failed patches may be a matter of
the glue.

For where I ride (hot and arid) glues are always an issue.  With a
standard patch kit that uses a tube of rubber cement, I find that it's
too-common that I get only one repair out of a tube of glue.  No matter
how tightly I re-seal the tube of glue, by the time I need to do another
repair (unless I've had bad luck to have multiple flats in a
comparatively short amount of time) the glue has completely dried out,
and is entirely useless. Time for yet another patch kit.

Now that I think of it, I probably should keep a set of pre-glued
patches in my gear bag, but as a matter of course, replace at the end of
the season, under the assumption that any unused patches will probably
have bad glue.

Maybe something I could do with the tubes of rubber cement would be to
keep them in the refrigerator, where they're not so vulnerable to heat
and arid atmosphere.

Smith