Article <v3no3u$hpra$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v3no3u$hpra$1@dont-email.me>

From: AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Tire patch failure
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2024 13:58:06 -0500

On 6/4/2024 1:06 PM, Catrike Ryder wrote:

> I collected two old leaky tire tubes and proceeded to patch them. I've
> patched many tire and never had any problems. The patches all leaked
> and I discovered I could pull them off.  I patched them again and
> pulled them off again. The patches were labeled "Thumbs Up," made in
> China, and came in a large quantity. The tubes were Continental.  Has
> anyone else used these patched or had this problem. At any rate,
> beware what I believe is a faulty product.

Can't comment on whatever product you have there but the
chemistry of good patching systems (Tech,  Rema) is
zinc-rich to make a very strong bond known as 'cold
vulcanization'.

https://techtirerepairs.com/company/

Things which look a lot like patches may lack actual
capacity for a good bond.

BTW it's a patching system- cleaner, cement and patch
formulated to make cross linked bonds together.

Further to that:
https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/Zinc-Based-Curing-Activators%3A-New-Trends-for-Zinc-Mostoni-Milana/671465bfbffb17da58903f8bf374a0479727c81b
--
Andrew Muzi