Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v3o4mi$k3o5$1@dont-email.me>

From: BGB-Alt <bohannonindustriesllc@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: C23 thoughts and opinions
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2024 17:32:50 -0500

On 6/4/2024 2:17 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
> BGB <cr88192@gmail.com> writes:
>>>
>>> If Chorus at least doesn't vaguely ring a bell, you must have your head
>>> up your ass as even a bachelor-level computer scientist.
>>>

>> FWIW: When I was going to college for a CS major, the emphasis was
>> mostly on Microsoft technologies, and a lot of the classes were taught
>> in C#. I mostly stuck with C for my own uses though (and IIRC did write
>> one class project in C++/CLI).
>
> A CS major should concentrate on the theory (operating system principles,
> compiler principles, data structures, algorithmic complexity,
> security, fundamentals of programming independent upon language,
> and a survey of useful programming languages), and perhaps a look at the
> history of computing.
>
> It sounds like your CS department let you down.

Pretty much no theory or history.

Whole lot of emphasis on Microsoft products though, and very little
else. As noted, most classes were in C#. There was a data structures
class, but was in C#, which sorta diminishes it to some extent as the
general idea was that people would just use the container classes
anyways (rather than write a linked list or binary tree themselves).

Linux was talked about to some extent in one of the classes (but, more
in a high-level introductory sense). I don't remember which distro it
was, but IIRC was being run in VMware.

But, at the time, the then new OS was Windows Vista (but, I was odd,
running XP X64 instead; but was also odd in middle and high school for
running NT4 and 2K rather than Win9X).

Not too much different than Cygwin, or WSL (where, WSL gives a better
experience in at least as far as WSL still actually works, and is not
such a pain as trying to use QEMU which along with DOSBox are seemingly
the only other VMs that will still run on a PC with non-functioning
hardware virtualization, *1).

*1: Should work on my CPU, and enabled in the BIOS, but doesn't work for
some reason as far as any of the VMs are concerned (seemingly it may be
a limitation somehow caused by a limitation in the MOBO chipset or
something; along with the inability to stick a full 128GB of RAM in the
thing, but is OK with 112GB).

But, yeah, I have done far more CS stuff in my hobby projects than I had
taken in classes.

Compiler stuff or OS stuff:
Nope (as far as classes go), this was all hobby projects for me.

I wrote my own compiler because I found it interesting, at the time,
most people (including the teachers) would have thought of this sort of
thing as absurd...