Article <v3o5q4$kb1a$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v3o5q4$kb1a$1@dont-email.me>

From: NFN Smith <worldoff9908@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Tire patch failure
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2024 15:51:46 -0700

Zen Cycle wrote:
> On 6/4/2024 2:44 PM, NFN Smith wrote:
>> Roger Merriman wrote:
>>> Catrike Ryder <Soloman@old.bikers.org> wrote:

>> If he's using the pre-glued patches, failed patches may be a matter of
>> the glue.
>
> Yup, the other issue is that placing the patch on the tube while it's
> flat will result in the patch pulling and shearing away from the repair
> spot because the pre-glued patches are a plastic (vinyl, methinks) that
> doesn't stretch with the rubber. On a hot day it might not even hold
> enough to get you home since the glue stays more fluid, but usually it's
> enough.

That's a good reminder.

>> Now that I think of it, I probably should keep a set of pre-glued
>> patches in my gear bag, but as a matter of course, replace at the end
>> of the season, under the assumption that any unused patches will
>> probably have bad glue.
>>
>> Maybe something I could do with the tubes of rubber cement would be to
>> keep them in the refrigerator, where they're not so vulnerable to heat
>> and arid atmosphere.
>>

> I gave up on that. I carry a spare tube and a traditional patch kit on
> my commuter. In the cases where I've had to break into the glue, I just
> replace the entire kit and tube before the next ride

I always carry a spare tube, but I need to make sure I have a kit in the
bag, as well, for the rare occasion of multiple punctures on the same
ride.  Last year, I had a couple of outbreaks of that kind of thing,
either more than one puncture on one ride, or punctures on consecutive
rides.  In the latter case, when that happened more than once, I
realized that it was time for a new set of tires.

Smith