Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v3p3ni$s5n4$4@dont-email.me>

From: Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo@nz.invalid>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: C23 thoughts and opinions
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2024 07:22:27 -0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 4 Jun 2024 17:32:50 -0500, BGB-Alt wrote:

> Linux was talked about to some extent in one of the classes (but, more
> in a high-level introductory sense). ...
>
> But, at the time, the then new OS was Windows Vista ...

See, there was an opportunity missed, wasn’t it, to compare the different
design approaches in the two. Consider GUIs, for example: notice how the
GUI is commingled inextricably into the kernel in Windows, versus being a
separate modular, replaceable (and removable) layer in Linux.

Particularly relevant in the Vista situation was the big trouble over the
3D effects in “Aero Glass”: Microsoft could only manage these on (for the
time) more expensive, higher-end hardware. This led to a lot of user
confusion over what “Vista-capable” and “Vista-ready” meant, culminating
in lawsuits.

Meanwhile, my modest little Asus Eee 701 PC with its single-core 900-MHz
Celeron could run KDE 4 Plasma, with my choice of fun 3D effects, without
missing a beat.