Article <v3pkem$v14v$2@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v3pkem$v14v$2@dont-email.me>

From: Chris Ahlstrom <OFeem1987@teleworm.us>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Workstation Aesthetics
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2024 08:07:50 -0400
 <v2u2cj$33vus$1@dont-email.me> <v2v9fr$3daer$4@dont-email.me>
 <v2vc53$3dkln$3@dont-email.me> <v30g0c$3lhel$3@dont-email.me>
 <slrnv5a4g0.8c8.candycanearter07@candydeb.host.invalid>
 <v33c75$ddl1$4@dont-email.me>
 <slrnv5aeav.hse.candycanearter07@candydeb.host.invalid>
 <v33tqh$ftv1$1@dont-email.me> <uglb5jho4cn959nosc8di0lai52p4tftb6@4ax.com>
 <v35pqb$qao6$4@dont-email.me> <tusc5jllfskdpj5cknsk84mb5p66q0b0hc@4ax.com>
 <v36f0o$111db$1@dont-email.me> <bPE5O.15788$ytC1.771@fx34.iad>
 <v39693$1ird9$2@dont-email.me> <1OY5O.3643$zfC8.897@fx35.iad>
 <v3e70o$2kc2t$2@dont-email.me> <kPC6O.21333$Dsz1.8213@fx14.iad>
 <v3ghfn$31rjc$3@dont-email.me>
 <665c66eb$0$3738365$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>
 <v3j58g$3j4v3$4@dont-email.me> <v3j9ha$3fm08$1@dont-email.me>
 <v3jvdi$3qduu$12@dont-email.me> <v3k8cn$3fm08$3@dont-email.me>
 <v3mdu0$arho$2@dont-email.me> <v3n0vq$3iat$4@dont-email.me>
 <v3o8dp$kfrm$8@dont-email.me>

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> On Tue, 4 Jun 2024 12:23:23 -0000 (UTC), vallor wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 4 Jun 2024 06:58:08 -0000 (UTC), Lawrence D'Oliveiro
>> <ldo@nz.invalid> wrote in <v3mdu0$arho$2@dont-email.me>:

>>> Abso-bloody-lutely.
>>
>> I've come to the conclusion that the person who asked you for the videos
>> was never interested in the aesthetics of the workstation desktops of
>> yore -- nor have they acknowledged those desktops' role in shaping the
>> look-and-feel of Windows 95.
>>
>> They seem to be a Windows concern troll having a bit of fun with us...
>
> Except the joke was on them. Now they seem to be trying desperately to
> claim that the Windows desktop of the time looked much better than Unix,
> hoping that if they shout it loud enough, that will somehow make it true.
>
> What they forget is who was in charge of Microsoft at the time: Bill
> Gates, whom Steve Jobs famously said had “no taste”.
>
> Remember, the big advance in Windows 95 was in actually having a “Start”
> menu for the first time.

And what good is a pretty desktop if the OS tends to freeze up?

My mail-order Pentium desktop had Win NT (not DOS-Windows) for that reason.

(I did have to dig around to find an NT driver for an HP inkjet printer
"Certified for Window" Same for the modem card. :-D).

Later I slicked it and put RedHat 6 on it.

--
Keep it short for pithy sake.