Article <v3s71r$1frji$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v3s71r$1frji$1@dont-email.me>

From: Zen Cycle <funkmaster@hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Cycling editorial
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2024 07:37:31 -0400

On 6/5/2024 9:31 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> On Wed, 05 Jun 2024 23:15:26 GMT, Tom Kunich <cyclintom@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Your opinion of HP might very well be true. But because the market tracks inflation, today HP is worth 3 times what it was in 2019. This means that they have been holding their value. I hope you put some of your money in their stock.
>
> In 2019, HP stock was worth about $20.  Today, it's worth about $35.
> That's a net increase of  35 / 20 = 1.75  times in the past 5 years.
> If HP was really "worth 3 times what it was in 2019", then it should
> now be selling for $60/share.

What I _should_ have done was leave my Agilent shares alone. As I
mentioned previously, HP is a shell of its former self. When the Agilent
split happened, all my HP were converted to Agilent 1:1, IIRC the shares
were in the $25 range at the time. We weren't given a choice for the
options, but were asked of we wanted to keep owned-shares of HP or
convert them. Given my distaste for what the Fiorina regime did to HP, I
chose to convert. Finally, ~15 years after I had been laid off, I was in
a review with my financial planner and we noted the lackluster
performance of Agilent, so I sold it all and invested in a mutual fund.

Converting everything to agilent was a good move, selling it all
later....Bad move.

 From 2019 on, Agilent has been performing brilliantly, going from ~
$25/share when I sold to the mid 100's ($133 as of this message). HP is
still only in the $30 range. Given over 20 years of inflation I would
have lost money if I left any in HP. Still, the mutual fund is doing
well and I've made reasonable gains - well more than if I left it in HP,
but not as well as if I had left it in Agilent.