Article <v3sd8n$1gra7$6@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v3sd8n$1gra7$6@dont-email.me>

From: olcott <polcott333@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Subject: Re: Halting Problem is wrong two different ways
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2024 08:23:35 -0500

On 6/6/2024 3:45 AM, Mikko wrote:
> On 2024-06-05 17:09:18 +0000, olcott said:

>>> It's not "Can Carol" - it's "Does Carol"
>>
>> *Disagreeing with verified facts does not count as any rebuttal*
>> I inserted "(yes/no)" to close the loophole that Richard found.
>
> That addition does not constrain what Carol can say. Whether that
> makes "Absolutely not" an incorrect answer is another problem.

Can Carol correctly answer “no” to this [yes/no] question?

     ...is a consistent, satisfiable specification for some
     agent (anyone other than Carol), and an inconsistent,
     unsatisfiable specification for some agent (Carol). (Hehner:2017)

If Carol answers “no” to this question she is saying that “no” is the
wrong answer, if she is correct then “no” is the right answer making her
necessarily incorrect.

If Carol answers “yes” to this question she is saying that “no” is the
correct answer thus making “yes” necessarily the wrong answer.

Thus both [yes, no] are the wrong answer from Carol, thus “no” is the
correct answer from anyone else.

When anyone or machine is asked a yes/no question and this
yes/no question has no correct answer from this person or
machine because both yes and no are contradicted then this
is an incorrect question. I first brought this up in this
forum back in 2004.

Alan Turing's Halting Problem is incorrectly formed (PART-TWO)  sci.logic
On 6/20/2004 11:31 AM, Peter Olcott wrote:
 > PREMISES:
 > (1) The Halting Problem was specified in such a way that a solution
 > was defined to be impossible.
 >
 > (2) The set of questions that are defined to not have any possible
 > correct answer(s) forms a proper subset of all possible questions.
 > …
 > CONCLUSION:
 > Therefore the Halting Problem is an ill-formed question.

USENET Message-ID:
<kZiBc.103407$Gx4.18142@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>

*Direct Link to original message*
http://al.howardknight.net/?STYPE=msgid&MSGI=%3CkZiBc.103407%24Gx4.18142%40bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net%3E+