Article <v3shqd$1hrqr$3@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v3shqd$1hrqr$3@dont-email.me>

From: Chris Ahlstrom <OFeem1987@teleworm.us>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: The entire history of GuhNoo/FOSS/Linux hobbyware in 3 words
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2024 10:41:16 -0400

Andrzej Matuch wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> On 2024-06-05 11:57 a.m., DFS wrote:
>>
>> "inspired by <insert commercial app>"
>
> It should be noted that Linux's openness is a major reason for why Sun
> Microsystems went bankrupt. Sun's stuff was still better, but people
> could create a bunch of servers for cheap using Linux that it didn't
> even matter.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Microsystems

    . . .

    In general, Sun was a proponent of open systems, particularly Unix. It was
    also a major contributor to open-source software, as evidenced by its $1
    billion purchase, in 2008, of MySQL, an open-source relational database
    management system.

    . . .

    During the dot-com bubble, Sun began making more money, with its stock
    rising as high as $250 per share. It also began spending much more,
    hiring workers and building itself out. Some of this was because of genuine
    demand, but much was from web start-up companies anticipating business that
    would never happen. In 2000, the bubble burst. Sales in Sun's important
    hardware division went into free-fall as customers closed shop and
    auctioned high-end servers.

    . . .

    On April 20, 2009, it was announced that Oracle would acquire Sun for
    US$7.4 billion. The deal was completed on January 27, 2010

And then Oracle started suing people over Java, IIRC.

> I guess that's Linux's greatest achievement: killing Sun and putting
> lots of people out of work.

I beginning to think you are quite the sourpuss.

--
You have an unusual magnetic personality.  Don't walk too close to
metal objects which are not fastened down.