Article <v3te2i$1ms1q$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v3te2i$1ms1q$1@dont-email.me>

From: Malcolm McLean <malcolm.arthur.mclean@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: Running an editor from ANSI C
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2024 23:43:30 +0100

On 06/06/2024 20:54, Keith Thompson wrote:
> David Brown <david.brown@hesbynett.no> writes:
>> On 06/06/2024 10:27, Malcolm McLean wrote:
>>> It does work. But my compiler warns about rmpnam() being deprecated.
>>
>> I presume you mean "tmpnam()" here.  No, it has not been deprecated -
>> not even in C23.  I could be wrong, but this sounds like one of MSVC's
>> arbitrary self-declared deprecations, using scare tactics to encourage
>> people to use MSVC's own functions rather than standard C functions,
>> thus locking you into their tools and platform.
> [...]
>
> You're right, tmpnam() is not deprecated either by ISO C or by POSIX.
>
> But tmpfile() is likely to be better for most purposes.  It creates a
> file and returns a FILE*.  tmpnam() returns a string pointer, and it's
> possible that some other process could create a file with the same name
> before the caller has a chance to create it.
>
> (mkstemp() is more flexible, but is not defined by ISO C.)

I want to run nano (or vi, or ed), in a shell running a pure ansi C
program. So the way to do it is to create a file, write the text you
want edit to it, them call system("nano readme.txt"). Nano then grabs
the  cobsole, which is what you want. You then read the file to get the
edited data.

The shell isn't just a proof og concept. It has a practical purpose,
because it is FileSystem XML file editor. Whilst I'm playing about
putting Basic into it for fun, the real purpose is serious. And the user
must have an easy way of editing text files in the FileSystem file.

But it becomes effectively a virtual computer in its own right.

--
Check out Basic Algorithms and my other books:
https://www.lulu.com/spotlight/bgy1mm