Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v40153$28or2$1@dont-email.me>

From: Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: THE ACOLYTE - The Death of STAR WARS?
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2024 10:21:23 +1200

On 2024-06-07 02:46:37 +0000, shawn said:
> On Thu, 06 Jun 2024 16:57:02 -0700, BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
>>
>> The first episodes of what the showrunner Leslye Headland calls 'the
>> gayest STAR WARS ever' have dropped and it's really as dreadful as you
>> imagine.
>>
>> THE ACOLYTE is a queer Marxist vandalization of the STAR WARS mythos.
>> The Force is now a metaphor for cultural hegemonic power and the Jedi
>> are a metaphor for 'cisgender' white oppressors who hoard that power for
>> themselves. Yes, it really is that obnoxious and stupid.
>>
>> I watched it so you don't have to. Here's a summary:
>>
>> 1. The main character has two mothers.
>>
>> 2. All of the main Jedi characters are black or Asian. Zero white people.
>>
>> 3. In the first episode, the only speaking role for a white person was a
>> convicted criminal.
>>
>> In the third episode, they plan to jettison STAR WARS canon entirely
>> while writing concerns about pronouns and being 'misgendered' into the
>> storyline. By that point they will have destroyed all remaining
>> affection the fan base has for the STAR WARS Universe.
>
> Wrong. It's not the Star Wars universe that people will have no
> affection for but Leslye Headland's version. I didn't need to watch
> this to know how bad it was going to be. When you have things like
> Headland saying she went out of her way to hire people who knew
> nothing about Star Wars so she could jettison everything about Lucas's
> version of Star Wars. It was enough to get Lucas to state that Star
> Wars was about Good vs Evil as the basic premise of the show. While
> Headland wants to have the Sith be misunderstood.
>
> All of her ideas are fine if she was off making her own show based on
> her own ideas. Not building a show inside an existing universe by
> tossing aside all of the basics of that universe. Given that it's like
> she wanted to build her own show in the Star Wars universe but she
> wanted to toss aside most (all?) of the existing fan base with her new
> show.

"The Acolyte" is set about 100 years before any of the other movies or
TV shows. There was very little canon to use and Disney had already
jettisoned the material in all the old novels, comic books, and games
(relabelling them as "Classic") not long after they bought up the
franchise.

So technically it's not really Headland's fault, but is Disney's fault
in stupidly trying to "reboot" the fanchise as their own version.
Disney's entire "Sequel Trilogy" was little more than simply a lazy-ass
reboot of the "Original Trilogy", with a female lead character. Much of
the blame is due to the fool Kathleen Kennedy, who despite supposedly
being fired, is *still* in charge of Lucasfilm.

As for all the woke / Political Correctness nonsense, that's simply
Hollyweird (and everwhere else) these days.  :-(