Article <v40oqa$2fjig$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v40oqa$2fjig$1@dont-email.me>

From: BGB <cr88192@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: C23 thoughts and opinions
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2024 00:04:02 -0500
 <v39v87$1n7bk$1@dont-email.me> <20240530170836.00005fa0@yahoo.com>
 <v3a3k5$1ntrn$1@dont-email.me> <20240530180345.00003d9f@yahoo.com>
 <v3chc4$27uij$1@dont-email.me> <20240531161937.000063af@yahoo.com>
 <20240531162811.00006719@yahoo.com> <20240531164835.00007128@yahoo.com>
 <v3cldt$28n91$2@dont-email.me> <20240531173437.00003bee@yahoo.com>
 <v3d3ct$2b5sl$1@dont-email.me> <v3d97c$2c6ea$1@dont-email.me>
 <22r6O.5934$xPJ1.2590@fx09.iad> <v3t6nu$1liet$1@dont-email.me>
 <v3tlmo$1o860$7@dont-email.me> <v3vvph$27spv$1@dont-email.me>
 <v40hum$2err2$1@dont-email.me>

> On Fri, 7 Jun 2024 16:58:08 -0500, BGB-Alt wrote:
>
>> I think code generation went in the bulky direction when they started
>> adding auto-vectorization, and not really any option to be like "Yes, I
>> want SIMD instructions enabled, but, no, don't autovectorize."
>>
>> Sometimes vectorization makes things faster, sometimes not, but one
>> thing it does do, is make the generated binaries bigger.
>
> And MSVC is the compiler that Microsoft use to build Windows itself, isn’t
> it?

Yes, pretty much.

> Unless they’ve turned to GCC now ...

I think there has been at least some experimental use of Clang as an
alternative compiler in Visual Studio.

But, in general, I suspect MS doesn't care if the EXE and DLL files are
bulky and if their compiler doesn't win the performance game. They had
kept trying to push people over to .NET anyways, which doesn't exactly
improve things in terms of performance.

One thing MSVC does have going for it, is that Visual Studio is a much
better debugger and profiler (in terms of user interface) than GDB and
GPROF.

Though, there was also WinDbg, which is a more powerful debugger, but
with a less well polished UI.

Can also note that the compilers handle debugging info different:
   GCC tends to put debug data in the binary itself (as DWARF or STABS);
   MSVC puts it into external files (".PDB" or similar).

One merit of using separate files is that one doesn't need to recompile
to remove the debugging data.

Thus far, my compiler had used an augmented form of the symbol maps;
using a similar format to the output of the "nm" tool; but with
additional types of lines for things like line-number information and
similar, etc. Currently not yet anything to describe things like
stack-frame or structure layouts, etc (and there may need to be a better
way to do this than to shove all this stuff in a symbol map file).