Article <v41l89$3cg3t$12@i2pn2.org>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v41l89$3cg3t$12@i2pn2.org>

From: Richard Damon <richard@damon-family.org>
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Subject: Re: How Partial Simulations correctly determine non-halting ---Ben's
 10/2022 analysis
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2024 09:10:33 -0400
 <87h6eamkgf.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <v3kcdj$3stk9$1@dont-email.me>
 <v3l7uo$13cp$8@dont-email.me> <v3lcat$228t$3@dont-email.me>
 <v3mq9j$chc3$1@dont-email.me> <v3mrli$chc4$1@dont-email.me>
 <_gWdnbwuZPJP2sL7nZ2dnZfqn_GdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
 <v3nkqr$h7f9$3@dont-email.me> <v3p4ka$sk6h$1@dont-email.me>
 <v3pp7p$v133$8@dont-email.me> <v3s27e$1f9kd$1@dont-email.me>
 <v3sf1n$1gra7$11@dont-email.me> <v3sjo9$1ialb$1@dont-email.me>
 <v3skoo$1iedv$1@dont-email.me> <v3u9ej$1v7rn$1@dont-email.me>
 <v3v6i7$23l33$1@dont-email.me> <v3ve38$259cg$1@dont-email.me>
 <v3vf0b$24orn$4@dont-email.me> <v40u4u$2gi7t$1@dont-email.me>
 <v41k6l$2jqdk$8@dont-email.me>

On 6/8/24 8:52 AM, olcott wrote:
> On 6/8/2024 1:36 AM, Mikko wrote:

>>> Professor Sipser knew full well that H and D are mere
>>> placeholders for simulating halt decider H with arbitrary input D.
>>
>> Yes, as nothing more is specified in the agreed text. But his expressed
>> agreement does not extend to any substition of those placeholders.
>>

> It allows substitution of any simulating halt decider for H
> and any finite string input for D. If you are going to lie
> about this I am going to quit looking at what you say.
>
> <MIT Professor Sipser agreed to ONLY these verbatim words 10/13/2022>
>    If simulating halt decider H correctly simulates its input D
>    until H correctly determines that its simulated D would never
>    stop running unless aborted then
>
>    H can abort its simulation of D and correctly report that D
>    specifies a non-halting sequence of configurations.
> </MIT Professor Sipser agreed to ONLY these verbatim words 10/13/2022>

And you can only use that with the definiton Professor Sipser has for
"Correct Simulation" which you don't do, that of one that goes to
completion. And it is for an input that is FIXED and doesn't change as
you imagine alternate H's.

Since your H doesn't do a correct simulation per the canonical
definition, you can't directly use the first part to claim the second.
You can't even imagine a hypothetical replace for THIS COPY of H that
does such a simulation, because such a hypothetical doesn't change the
input, which will still call the original H, and that simulation WILL
HALT when you include in it the decision the H will abort its simulation
and return 0, thus you never got the permission needed to be correct to
do so, and thus you can be incorrect, which you are.