Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v41pnv$2ksna$1@dont-email.me>

From: Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-06-06 (Thursday)
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2024 07:27:11 -0700

On 6/7/2024 11:08 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> In article <v40qin$2g1gd$1@dont-email.me>,
>   "Ian J. Ball" <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 6/7/24 9:11 AM, Arthur Lipscomb wrote:
>
>>> Bad Boys: Ride or Die (theatrical) 2024 4th movie in the Bad Boys
>>> franchise which finds almost everyone from the first three movies
>>> returning for one more adventure. The plot involves Captain Howard (Joe
>>> Pantoliano) being framed after his death with Will Smith And Martin
>>> Lawrence jumping into action to clear his name. Overall this was a
>>> pretty solid Fast and Furious, I mean Bad Boys movie. And the character
>>> of "Reggie" who was introduced as a teenager dating Lawrences' daughter
>>> in the second movie, who came back to marry her in the third movie, has
>>> a very crowd pleasing scene in this one. My only gripe is the humor
>>> wasn't funny, at all. Whenever they are trying to be funny the movie
>>> stops dead. But the action is great.
>>
>> I don't think I've watched any past the first one. I may have seen the
>> second one, found it awful, and swore off anymore of these - I can't
>> remember. So there's some chance I've seen the second one... I don't
>> think I did. But I definitely never saw the third one.
>
> You'd have remembered the second one, as the dazzling Gabrielle Union in
> her prime in a bikini would have seared itself into your soul.

True.

I don't think I cared much for the first Bad Boys movie but the I liked
the second one more, then the third one was great and helped elevate the
first two.  This franchise shares a similarity with the Fast and Furious
and Lethal Weapon franchise where they keep bringing back all the same
minor characters played by the same actors. And it doesn't matter if
they were a villain or died they still get to come back.  Hey, if it
works for Fast and Furious...

Also I want to give another plug to the "Reggie" character.  The guy who
plays him was a child when the first movie came out. It was his first
acting role and he didn't do any other movies after.  Then 17 years
later they brought him back as an adult to reprise the character when
they could have easily recast with a real actor.  Then he came back
again for this movie with the three Bad Boys being his only acting
credits on imdb.  It's like he just drops whatever he's doing in life to
come back just to reprise that character.  And they really gave him
something to do this time around.  Now I wonder is the guy who plays him
actually an actor just doing stage work or does he have some completely
unrelated career and they have to track him down from whatever he's
doing so he can in these movies.