Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v4281f$2n2h8$4@dont-email.me>

From: "Ian J. Ball" <ijball@mac.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Selected programming for June 8-14, 2024
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2024 11:31:11 -0700

On 6/8/24 8:46 AM, Robin Miller wrote:

>          Saturday, June 8
>

>      Streaming:
>

> What Happens in Miami     (move)       (3:01 am, Tubi)
>
> Three friends on a wild Spring Break are thrust into a web of mystery as
> they become the prime focus of a missing persons investigation following
> the disappearance of one of their own. Stars Ashlei Sharpe Chestnut,
> Annalisa Cochrane, Rachel Leyco, Jada Elena Wooten, Christopher Collins,
> Lauren O'Quinn and Derek Roberts. 1 hr 31 min.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MTTZPqcfgQ
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt32431601/
>
> https://tubitv.com/movies/100021724/what-happens-in-miami

As I said in the followup to Anim, I only know Cochrane here. That's
probably not enough to get me to check this one out...

>      Broadcast and cable:
>

> Savoring Paris      (movie)          (8 pm, Hallmark Channel)
>
> Disillusioned with her life, Ella embarks on a soul-searching journey to
> Paris where she navigates love, self-discovery and cheese amidst the
> enchanting backdrop of The City of Love. Stars Bethany Joy Lenz and
> Stanley Weber.
>
> https://www.hallmarkchannel.com/savoring-paris
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt32281200/

I like Lenz - really wish she'd do a Lifetime flick or two...

> The Girl Locked Upstairs: The Tanya Kach Story    (movie)       (8 pm,
> Lifetime Channel)
>
> Tanya Kach (Jordyn Ashley Olson) was fourteen and at risk, struggling
> with an unhappy home life and the victim of bullying at her new school.
> Feeling isolated and lonely, she is befriended by Tom Hose (Robert
> Baker), the school’s security guard, who manages to lure Tanya to his
> home, where he held her captive and sexually abused her for over a
> decade. Convinced he had Tanya brainwashed and that she would never
> attempt escape, Tom eventually allows her to take on a part-time job.
> Out from under Tom’s watchful eye, Tanya finally finds the courage to
> take a dangerous step toward freedom.
>
> https://www.mylifetime.com/movies/the-girl-locked-upstairs-the-tanya-kach-story
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt32559891/

Will watch, though I can't say I am looking forward to it.
And how come I've never heard about this story before?!

>          Sunday, June 9
>

> The Wedding Rule       (movie)          (7 pm, UP tv)
>
> Former childhood friends are bequeathed a restaurant on one condition:
> they must be married to claim the inheritance. Both being single, the
> race is on to find the “one.” Stars Julie Nolke and Dennis Andres.
>
> https://uptv.com/movies/the-wedding-rule/
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt23034806/

And, once again, an UP tv flick starring no one anyone has ever heard of!!

> Gaslit By My Husband: The Morgan Metzer Story     (movie)       (8 pm,
> Lifetime Channel)
>
> Based on a true story, the movie follows Morgan (Jana Kramer) and Rodney
> Metzer (Austin Nichols) who were childhood sweethearts and married by
> the time Morgan was just 21 years old. The couple loses their first
> child shortly after birth but are overjoyed when they have twins a year
> later. Tensions began to rise when Rodney loses his job and goes into
> debt. Rodney blames their fights on Morgan’s drinking--even if she’d
> only had one--and convinces Morgan that she pushed him down the stairs
> in a blackout rage. The couple finally separates, and Morgan’s life
> begins to turn around, until Rodney gets diagnosed with cancer. Not long
> after, a masked intruder breaks into Morgan’s home and assaults her.
> Rodney shows up only minutes after the intruder is gone; when
> authorities question him, Rodney’s story doesn’t seem to be adding up.
> Does Rodney really have cancer and is he the hero that he claims to be,
> or has he been gaslighting Morgan for decades? J. Barrett Cooper, Denise
> Dal Vera and Maximo Sherman also star.
>
> https://www.mylifetime.com/movies/gaslit-by-my-husband-the-morgan-metzer-story
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt32245467/

It's really odd that they're premiering this film - which stars Jana
Kramer whom I think Lifetime considers to be one of their "headliners" -
on a Sunday night, rather than on a Saturday night. I can't figure this
part out...

> The Lazarus Project       (season 2 premiere)       (9 pm, TNT)
>
> Season 1: A secret organization called The Lazarus Project recruits
> George (Paapa Essiedu) to time travel to save the world from
> destruction, but soon he is tempted to use his knowledge to save someone
> in this sci-fi drama created by Joe Barton.
>
> Season 2: In this thrilling second season of the BAFTA-winning drama,
> the world has locked into a deadly time loop and the Lazarus team must
> race against time to save humanity. Among their number is resolute
> Lazarus agent George, who’s been left in disgrace after betraying the
> organization in the name of love. George is determined to redeem himself
> and win back the trust of his friends, colleagues, and the love of his
> life. But when he discovers that the cause he is fighting for is more
> sinister than it appears, George suspects that the only person he can
> really trust is himself. 8 episodes.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyOJINPZcOg
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14190592/      [rating 7.3]
>
> https://www.tntdrama.com/shows/the-lazarus-project

This has already been cancelled, so season #2 is the final season. I've
heard both that the season #2 ending is an acceptable series ending, and
that it ends on a quasi-cliffhanger - I don't know which version is
correct...

>          Monday, June 10
>

>      Streaming:
>

> Origin      (movie; streaming premiere)         (12:01 am, Hulu)
>
> Chronicles how lives today are defined by a hierarchy of human
> divisions. 2h 21m.
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13321244/    [rating 7.2]

I am guessing I would not like this...