Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v43epf$37rdv$1@dont-email.me>

From: Don Y <blockedofcourse@foo.invalid>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: British (european?) kitchen counter electric outlets
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2024 22:31:55 -0700

On 6/8/2024 7:07 PM, Edward Rawde wrote:
> "Don Y" <blockedofcourse@foo.invalid> wrote in message news:v42ndi$2spjg$1@dont-email.me...
>> In the US, we are required (new construction) to have two dedicated 20A
>> (2400W) circuits to service countertop "small appliances".  In addition,
>> there is also a requirement for a relatively tight spacing between
>> (duplex) receptacles -- the intent to keep cords short (IIRC, < 4ft...
>> we settled on 3').
>>
>> SWMBO was watching a britcom
>
> What year?

No idea.  I don't know when particular shows were made or aired -- even
domestic (US) content!

>> and commented at how few receptacles/outlets were in evidence to serve the countertop.
>
> Not sure what you're asking but a UK power strip can easily handle 3KW.

These were "wall outlets" fixed in place.  As the contact arrangement differs
from US (larger and different blade orientations), she didn't recognize them as
such.

IIRC (I wasn't watching the show but only called in for a "consult"),
there were two outlets "together", side by side, and then another
two outlets a fair distance away from those.

We have a small kitchen ("food prep area" as eating and dining areas are
elsewhere) but there are 7 duplex receptacles, there -- enough for 14
small appliances scattered along the countertop.

As most such appliances don't require a lot of power (think hand mixer,
blender, small TV, etc.), having the ability to power many from the
existing outlets is important.  If a "power strip" resembles an
"extension cord", it's use would be discouraged -- hence the requirement
for outlets to be closer together on the countertops than elsewhere
in the house (where I think 12' is the norm).