Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v440c1$3d8rb$1@dont-email.me>

From: Don Y <blockedofcourse@foo.invalid>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: British (european?) kitchen counter electric outlets
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2024 03:31:56 -0700

On 6/8/2024 11:57 PM, Liz Tuddenham wrote:
> Don Y <blockedofcourse@foo.invalid> wrote:
>
>> In the US, we are required (new construction) to have two dedicated 20A
>> (2400W) circuits to service countertop "small appliances".  In addition,
>> there is also a requirement for a relatively tight spacing between
>> (duplex) receptacles -- the intent to keep cords short (IIRC, < 4ft...
>> we settled on 3').
>>
>> SWMBO was watching a britcom and commented at how few receptacles/outlets
>> were in evidence to serve the countertop.  Granted, each outlet is rated a
>> fair bit higher than US (each US outlet being 2400W -- the full load rating
>> of the branch circuit supporting it).  But, still, how do you address
>> NUMBERS of appliances in use, concurrently -- where each appliance will
>> likely draw only a fraction of the rated branch circuit's current so
>> total load isn't an issue?
>>
>> E.g., we (presently) have a ~1KW microwave oven and a ~1KW toaster as
>> ever-present loads.  To that, it is not uncommon to add an electric
>> wok, hand or stand mixer, pizzelle iron, etc.  The abundance of
>> outlets makes it easy to add appliances as well as providing flexibility
>> over where they can be put into use.
>
> We tend to skimp on the number of socket outlet plates in buildings, but
> they are usually doubles, each with its own switch.

Yes, I've seen that.  And, they are *huge* (comparatively speaking;
a duplex receptacle, here, is a ~1x~3 inch device about an inch thick).

Ours also reside *in* the wall; I seem to remember the ones in England
were "on" the wall (?)

> There are generally
> fewer electrical gadgets in UK kitchens and those which are used less
> often are stored away in cupboards and only brought out and plugged in
> when needed, so a smaller number of outlets is usually sufficient.

Any "major appliances" (stove/oven, dishwasher, refrigerator) tend to
have dedicated outlets (and dedicated circuits).  I suspect a
microwave oven would be the most common appliance that is constantly
powered in a US kitchen.

Many appliances have very short power cords -- on the order of ~18-24".
So, an appliance tends to be plugged into a receptacle immediately
"behind" its place on the counter (even if not permanently stored there).

Long cords that could cross a sink or stove(top) are discouraged.
E.g., our toaster has an 18" cord as does my pizzelle iron.  But,
the hand mixer and stand mixers probably have 4' chords (?).
A toaster *oven* would similarly have a short cord as would the
electric frying pans and wok.

Our ice cream maker probably has a 2 ft cord as would a rice cooker
or bread maker.

I intentionally arranged the receptacles serving the counter tops
such that it was obvious as to which outlets were on each branch
circuit and a duplex of each circuit would be available in each
"prep area".

> We also have socket strips which plug into wall sockets and give four or
> six outlets (normally unswitched) for lighter loads.  This is helpful
> for temporary arrangements where more sockets are needed in a hurry -
> but tends to become permanent, leading to a maze of wires behind the
> furniture.  The strip is plugged into a normal wall socket with a fused
> plug, so if it is overloaded, the fuse will blow and protect it.

We have similar strips but I have never seen one deployed in a kitchen.
In general, the intent is for folks to use the in-wall mounted receptacles
without introducing other "extension cords".  I think newer construction
deliberately increases the density of outlets in rooms as there are
more and more electric (electronic) devices encountered -- esp things
with wall warts (that consume an outlet without using a lot of power).

> Because the UK voltage is double the US voltage, the UK current is half
> the US current for the same power, so our wiring tends to be lighter
> gauge but we are much stricter on preventing electric shock.

The kitchen requires the use of GFCI-protected outlets (or branch circuits).
The same requirement doesn't extend through the rest of the  house (excepting
the bathrooms/garage/outdoors), though.

AFCI-protected outlets are becoming more common in bedrooms but their
goal is to reduce risk of fire.

My motivation for moving everything to PoE PSE/PDs was to get rid of the
growing number of small power supplies/wall warts/bricks that are proliferating
in homes.  E.g., you can purchase duplex receptacles with built-in 5V USB
power sources -- but, I don't think this increases outlet availability as
you still have to mate the USB cable to the receptacle which can interfere
with the plugging of a power cord.