Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v444pq$3eqr5$3@dont-email.me>

From: Bill Sloman <bill.sloman@ieee.org>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Do you condemn Hamas?
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2024 21:48:10 +1000

On 9/06/2024 5:55 am, john larkin wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Jun 2024 19:30:11 +0200, Jeroen Belleman
> <jeroen@nospam.please> wrote:
>
>> On 6/8/24 16:45, john larkin wrote:

>>> Designing electronics has obviously suggestions of quantum
>>> consciousness, and even Einstein thought that QM was spooky.
>>>
>>> Don't give up on miracles quite yet.
>>>

>> You have referred to quantum effects in the brain many
>> times. In as far as the brain is a chemical machine, and
>> that chemistry is basically a manifestation of quantum
>> mechanics, I agree. In practice, QM is just a level too
>> deep in the abstraction stack. Somehow I believe that
>> that is not how you see it. Would you elaborate?
>>

> DNA and RNA and other things aren't flat linear molecules as the
> cartoons suggest. They are twisted and tangled into writhing balls. So
> any sequence gets continuously and randomly rubbed against the rest of
> the string.

But nothing happens to the DNA in the process.

>That's a quantum cross-correlation machine.

It would be if the DNA came out different. It doesn't.

>> Much of technology, electronics in particular, is a miracle,
>> though not in the mystical or religious sense.
>
> I like the Barrie Gilbert essay, "Where do little circuits come from?"
>
> They are all out there in the infinite solution space, and it's hard
> to explore an infinite space serially.

It's not difficult, just time consuming. You work outwards from the area
you have already explored - you don't, but people like Barry Gilbert and
Bob Widlar did. It's what science is about, but you don't anything about
that either.

> There's nothing mystical about a universe that obviously works.

Our current model of the universe depends on lots of dark matter -
though we don't what it is and have never seen anything that might
qualify - small black holes might fill the gap, but we haven't
identified any of them either. The first LIGO result showed us two
unexpectedly small black holes fusing, but not small enough to fit the
dark mater profile.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

www.norton.com