Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v448p9$3eqr5$7@dont-email.me>

From: Bill Sloman <bill.sloman@ieee.org>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Do you condemn Hamas?
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2024 22:56:09 +1000

On 9/06/2024 10:01 am, john larkin wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Jun 2024 23:59:33 +0200, Jeroen Belleman
> <jeroen@nospam.please> wrote:
>
>> On 6/8/24 21:55, john larkin wrote:

>> Basically I'll choose some promising starting point and then
>> try to move forward through the solution space, exploring
>> interesting branches on the way. Rarely I'll throw everything
>> out and start over.
>
> That's incremental design, which is necessary, but it doesn't create
> entirely new circuits or products.

"Rarely I'll throw  everything out and start over". That isn't
incremental design. You don't do that - or if you have you haven't
talked about it. I've commented on this before.

> Some big companies stick to tweaking what they know, and get crushed
> by upstarts in dorm rooms.
>
> Some big companies have futurists and fellows whose job is to consider
> possibilities. Somebody at Boeing is thinking about what airplanes (or
> whatever) might look like 30 years from now. I have friends at
> Raytheon and ASML whose job is to do that, think far away from where
> they are now.

But the comapany superstructure means that it doesn't happen often.

ASML was a spin-off from Philips, and took their human factors
department with them. I applied for one job at ASML and made it to
interview, but didn't seem to fit the pattern that their personnel
officers expected,

> I like to imagine planting a grenade inside my brain and blowing bits
> all over the possible solution space, to start a zillion parallel
> processors. Let that soak for a while.

What a silly idea.

> There are think tanks like HRL that do just that.

Not exactly. They sell expertise, and planting a grenade inside an
expert's brain would destroy that expertise. Brainstorming is a rather
different sort of activity.

> Most engineers are uncomfortable with uncertainty and confusion so
> latch onto a design concept ASAP, preferably something already
> sanctioned somewhere, and buckle down to implementing.

If you know of a solution that will work, you'd be mad not to use it.
I had a good idea in 1978 that a programmable logic device to make it
practical. I got my hands on one in 1993 and it ended up in

Sloman A.W., Buggs P., Molloy J., and Stewart D. “A
microcontroller-based driver to stabilise the temperature of an optical
stage to 1mK in the range 4C to 38C, using a Peltier heat pump and a
thermistor sensor” Measurement Science and Technology, 7 1653-64 (1996)

>> It's still a serial process. I can't see much of the space at
>> once. Maybe you can. So much the better for you.
>
> It takes some practice to be willing to be confused for a while.

You seem to be confused most of the time.

> It helps to be a bit autistic, to not much care what other people think.

And some people think that you confuse tinkering with a circuit with
circuit design.

Somebody thinks that a two-transistor emitter-coupled monostable is a
"horrendous mess" can expect to earn that kind of reputation.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

www.norton.com