Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v44j99$3k427$1@dont-email.me>

From: Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-06-08 (Saturday)
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2024 08:54:36 -0700

On 6/9/2024 8:09 AM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> Dogfights - The Bloodiest Day (disc)
> "The most intense day of air combat in the Vietnam War took place on May
> 10, 1972.  The day saw pioneering efforts in the development of
> electronic warfare, but is also remembered for numerous heart-pounding
> dogfights."
>
> Dogfights - P-51 Mustang (disc)
> "One of the most storied fighters in the history of air combat, the P-51
> Mustang proved itself again and again over the skies of Europe during
> World War II.  Three of its most heroic battles are recreated here in
> dramatic detail."

This sounds like a pretty good show.

> What Did You Watch?

I watched:

To Sir With Love (4K disc) 1967 British song by Lulu.  When the song
wasn't playing there was occasionally a movie starring Sidney Poitier as
a high school teacher trying to break through to some tough teens.  The
movie holds up well, but it really does feel like the movie is that song
on an endless loop.  Good thing I like the song.

To Sir, with Love II (blu-ray) - This 1996 TV movie was included as an
extra.  The set also included a TV series pilot, but I didn't watch
that.  The TV movie had Poitier moving from England to Chicago where he
insists on teaching a class of tough kids that the world has given up
on.  I watched this once on TV in 96 then forgot it.  For a TV movie it
was actually OK, and not a complete rehash of the original movie.

In the Heat of the Night (4K disc) 1967 movie starring Sidney Poitier as
a detective from Philadelphia who while heading home from visiting his
mother in Mississippi is arrested for murder.  Once the police chief
(Rod Steiger) realizes he's a big city detective the chief coerces him
into staying and helping with the case.  The movie was mostly background
noise with a very good commentary track that included the director, Rod
Steiger, and cinematography.  They did a great job of breaking down the
movie and telling various anecdotes about the making of the movie.

They Call Me Mister Tibbs! (blu-ray) 1970 sequel to "In the Heat of the
Night." The movie was included as an extra with "In the Heat of the
Night."  Sidney Poitier returns and has someone gone from a single
detective from Philadelphia to a married with children detective from
San Francisco.  His friend played by Martin Landau is the prime suspect
in the murder of a prostitute and Poitier is determined to solve the
case no matter the outcome.  I think I might have watched this once
before.  I really didn't follow the plot, but I guess it was OK.

The Organization (blu-ray) 1971 sequel that was also included as an
extra with "In the Heat of the Night."  This one has Poitier looking
into the murder of a businessman during a robbery.  But the robbers turn
themselves in claiming they did rob the place but it was to get the
police attention that the place they robbed was a front for mobsters;
but when they left the businessman was still alive.  I think this may
have been my first time ever watching this movie.  I think I might have
liked this one a bit more than the first sequel.