Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v44nc2$3lb7s$1@dont-email.me>

From: Phil Hobbs <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Challenger
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2024 17:05:06 -0000 (UTC)

john larkin <jl@650pot.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Jun 2024 13:28:58 -0000 (UTC), Phil Hobbs
> <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> wrote:
>
>> john larkin <jl@650pot.com> wrote:
>>> https://www.amazon.com/Challenger-Story-Heroism-Disaster-Space/dp/198217661X
>>>
>>> This is a very well researched and written book, and a sad, ghastly
>>> story.
>>>
>>> It reminds me that humans have no purpose in space but to die.
>>>

>> Of course most folks here don’t really think that we have any purpose here
>> either.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Phil Hobbs
>
> Whatever our purpose, killing astronauts probably doesn't help.
>
> Spending hundreds of billions on spam-in-a-can is a waste of resources
> that could truly help.
>
> The book is fascinating. The fatheads that decided to launch cared
> about power, money, and politics. The investigations after the
> disaster, the same. A few very brave engineers runined their careers
> to literally shout the truth. And Richard Feynman, who knew he was
> dying of cancer.

Sounds like an expanded rehash of the presidential commission report.  For
the other side of the story, I highly recommend Diane Vaughan’s “The
Challenger Launch Decision”.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs  Principal Consultant  ElectroOptical Innovations LLC /
Hobbs ElectroOptics  Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics