Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v45ad4$3rac9$1@dont-email.me>

From: TTman <kraken.sankey@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: TOT: Kitchen Appliances
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2024 23:29:55 +0100

On 09/06/2024 18:38, Cursitor Doom wrote:
> Gentlemen,
>
> That other thread on UK power outlets and appliances reminded me of
> this....
> I don't get the chance to get back to the UK very often, but have noticed
> through the online versions of newspapers and whatnot that there's a bit
> of a phenomenon going on at present with what are called "air fryers" -
> not sure if they're called the same thing in the US and other English
> speaking countries. Anyway, the Brits are obsessed with them it appears.
> They're essentially compact, table-top electric ovens and they've sold
> like they're going out of fashion. The demand for these things has been
> *huge* in Britain. Have they caught on elsewhere is my question. Anyone
> know?
>
> CD.
It's all to do with the massive price rises in energy in the UK,
especially electric in pence per kWh.Due mostly to the war that Putin
started...At one point the government had to rebate every energy
customer £400, spread over 6 months.Even then, the cost was relatively
very expensive- currently around double what it was 3 years ago.
That encouraged everyone to be super efficient in their energy use- both
gas and electric.Turn everything off at  the socket to eliminate standby
current etc. Many people on facebook energy type forums promoted the
efficiency of 'air fryers'. Yes, they are basically nothing more than a
small electric oven. Some have 2 compartments so you can cook a small
chicken + potatoes one side and veg the other. Heating element is ~1800W
compared to a conventional oven of ~2500 Watts. Plus cooking times
could, on average, be reduced by 10-20% and the temperature could be
reduced by 10.20 degress C.Most prominent make is Ninja