Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v46g9p$apg0$1@dont-email.me>

From: Martin Brown <'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: British (european?) kitchen counter electric outlets
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2024 10:16:41 +0100

On 10/06/2024 01:41, Don Y wrote:
> On 6/9/2024 3:50 PM, TTman wrote:
>>> Yes, I've seen that.  And, they are *huge* (comparatively speaking;
>>> a duplex receptacle, here, is a ~1x~3 inch device about an inch thick).
>>>
>>> Ours also reside *in* the wall; I seem to remember the ones in England
>>> were "on" the wall (?)
>>
>> In the UK we have slim sockets now.... protruding maybe 2mm from the
>> wall.
>
> So, they fit *into* the wall?  Is the wiring concealed in the wall and
> routed to the outlet(s) from within?

Remember that in the UK most older houses are brick built with plastered
walls so there is a fair amount of effort chasing a socket box into the
wall. Historically a lot of ring mains wiring also ran behind the
skirting board at the base of the wall and sockets were let into that.

> There is a product here called "Wiremold" that can be entirely surface
> mounted (junction boxes as well as cable runs).  But, it would typically
> not be found in most homes (kitchens).  A "Plugmold" product provides
> similarly (permanently) mounted "outlet strips"

Surface mounted boxes are generally used in garages and utility rooms or
in positions that are out of sight (like under counters behind fridges).

> Basements/garages/exteriors will often have surface mounted junction boxes
> with cable runs in EMT or rigid conduit, usually required by local code
> (to protect the wiring).  E.g., I run all of my exterior network cabling
> in EMT with water-tight fittings as it makes for a cleaner looking
> installation
> and affords some protections against physical damage.
>
>> Earlier types protruded around 10mm and before that ( we called them
>> surface mount) they protruded 25mm-40 mm.Our duplex sockets measure 6"
>> wide x 3"high
>
> As I said, a duplex receptacle would be about 1"x3" and sell for as
> little as 77c or as much as ~$10 (QTY 1 -- though most would be purchased
> in much larger quantities) depending on the features desired (ampacity,
> cosmetics, tamper resistance, etc.)

You can get flush surface mount units but you have to chase that much
further into brickwork to fit the it in. The old way with ~10mm
protruding was the least worst option and is still common. New build
with a lot of stud walling tends to have more modern flush mount.

> You can (just barely -- and with many qualifications) install one into
> a Jbox of ~10 cu in internal volume.  A single gang device typically
> exposes a 2x4" opening, covered by a 3.5x5" decorative plate

It takes a while with a chisel to knock a hole big enough for a UK mains
socket out of a wall which is why most remain 10mm out to this day. The
plaster tends to fall off nearby so it is always messy to install one.

--
Martin Brown