Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v46l7d$bv1n$1@dont-email.me>

From: Jeroen Belleman <jeroen@nospam.please>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Quantum mystics
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2024 12:42:53 +0200

On 6/9/24 23:07, Martin Brown wrote:
> On 09/06/2024 21:08, john larkin wrote:
>> On Sun, 9 Jun 2024 20:46:53 +0200, Jeroen Belleman
>> <jeroen@nospam.please> wrote:
>>
>>> I just watched a talk by Anton Zeilinger, professor of physics
>>> at the university of Vienna, and 2022 Nobel laureate, about
>>> quantum effects and entanglement.
>
> Link please? It is impossible to comment without seeing his talk.

The talk is this one: <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY6UCVsiTPU>.
He had much the same talk to what looked like a class of university
students.

[...]
> I'm not quite sure what he has said that annoyed JB - usually any
> popular science programme for a general audience dumbs down quantum
> mechanics to a point where it is completely unrecognisable to
> professional physicists.

What irritates me is that QM is presented as if it's a great
mystery and that no example of an experimental setup is shown,
even schematically. That denies the listeners the opportunity
to think about it for themselves. His argument using dice is
entirely empty of any useful meaning.

Some years ago, I had a closer look at a publication of his:
"Quantum imaging with undetected photons", doi:10.1038/nature13586,
in which the observed phenomenon was described as some quantum
mechanical miracle. While the experiment was certainly not easy to
conduct, what was actually going on is trivial to understand, and
in classical terms too.

The QM clique doesn't *want* to make things understandable.

Jeroen Belleman