Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v471sh$fj66$3@dont-email.me>

From: Alan Browne <singularity@blackhole.org>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: Has all the data disappeared off my old core2duo iMac?
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2024 10:16:49 -0400

On 2024-06-10 09:40, Amanda Ripanykhazov wrote:
> On 6/9/24 7:40 PM, Percival John Hackworth wrote:
>
>> Sounds like a dead or dying hard drive.
>>
>> Install a new disk into the machine and reinstall MacOS from the network
>> (command-R from boot).
>> Attach the old drive to the system with a USB cable. Amazon sells ones
>> from
>> Sabrent but there are others.
>> When the new install asks if you want to migrate from another machine,
>> select
>> the old drive as the source OR use your latest Time Machine Backup.
>>
> Thanks guys! I kinda knew that was the position, - I was just hoping
> that I might have overlooked some option for reading what was on the
> drive.  But short of re-building whatever the Master Boot Record is
> called on a Mac, I do accept that this is unlikely.
>
> I'm pretty sure this is just a backup computer and whatever is on it is
> somewhere else as well so it just isnt worthwhile spending too much time
> getting it working.
>
> I also agree that this whole situation only arises because the drive is
> on it's way out and the computer urgently needs throwing away,  rather
> than wasting time pulling it apart to put a new HD in it

What year is the computer? That it wants to "El Capitan" suggests 2015
which (to me) is not an old computer.  Core 2 Duo suggest closer to 2010
if not older...

It could be (with a new drive and install) a great starter Mac for
someone out there with modest computing needs.

--
"It would be a measureless disaster if Russian barbarism overlaid
  the culture and independence of the ancient States of Europe."