Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v474ho$gh43$2@dont-email.me>

From: Bill Sloman <bill.sloman@ieee.org>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Quantum mystics
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2024 01:02:14 +1000

On 10/06/2024 6:14 pm, Liz Tuddenham wrote:
> Jeff Layman <Jeff@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> ... I was ok with mathematics in school until we started
>> on calculus. I could not, and still cannot, understand concepts such as
>> "vanishingly small".
>

> Calculus is to arithmetic what astrology is to astronomy.

Rubbish. You can't have astrology without astronomy, but the conclusion
astrologers draw from astronomical events are total nonsense.

You can't have calculus without arithmetic, but calculus is just a
device that lets you get accurate arithmetic results with less
computation. Newton used it exactly that way. Leibniz

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gottfried_Wilhelm_Leibniz

did too, but he also spelled exactly how he was doing it which is why we
use his notation, rather Newton's.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

www.norton.com