Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v47bl4$hnfj$1@dont-email.me>

From: Martin Brown <'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Quantum mystics
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2024 18:03:32 +0100

On 10/06/2024 15:45, Jeroen Belleman wrote:
> On 6/10/24 01:56, john larkin wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> The split-beam interferometer was designed specifically to mess with
>> our heads.
>
> Was it? I think it behaves exacly like you'd expect from
> a wave phenomenon observed with quantized detectors.

But the wave phenomena in some experiments (aka wavefunction) can belong
to comparatively heavy objects that we would normally think of as
classical particles. Indeed we can even image the molecules used at
atomic level with scanning tunnelling microscopes.

I'm pretty sure they have diffracted buckyballs through Young's slits. I
think the record for complexity is still held by a fluorinated porphyrin
~10k amu 800+ atoms and efforts are underway to diffract a small virus.

More info on Arxiv here : https://arxiv.org/pdf/1310.8343

Experimentally it is quite a tour de force!

Physical intuition tends to break down when you have a superposition of
quantum states involved. Attempting to know which slit a particle
actually went through destroys the interference pattern and experiments
using ultra low flux levels with just a single photon in at any one time
still show a diffraction pattern. QM is decidedly counter intuitive.

Explores all available paths mathematics gets the right results but I
can't help feeling that there is a way to avoid the action at a distance
implied by quantum entanglement when we get all of the physics correct.

I didn't think his talk was all that outrageous. A bit over simplified
perhaps but then avoiding almost all of the maths that is inevitable.

--
Martin Brown