Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v47d7h$hof0$1@dont-email.me>

From: "Ian J. Ball" <ijball@mac.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-06-09 (Sunday)
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2024 10:30:25 -0700

On 6/10/24 1:30 AM, Ubiquitous wrote:

> I watched:
>
> HARD TO FIND!!! Is this RARE bad movie worth it?? - Guns & Lipstick (1995):
> On this episode of Weird Movies With Mark, I talk about a movie that took me
> a while to get a copy of. It's the story of how a private investigator gets
> caught up in the middle of the search for a valuable stone but it's just not
> that interesting. It's Guns & Lipstick (1995)
> https://youtu.be/qDhfNrtDIx4?si=xVI0sQkQjU3yTEhv

This actually has a fun cast. But it's only got a 3.8/10 on IMDb (and
just ~150 votes), which is definitely not a good sign.

> What did you watch?

Yesterday, I finished off "Maxton Hall" (season #1), golf, a Lifetime
flick and a low-budget "thriller" starring Lifetime's Revell Carpenter!!:

Maxton Hall (Prime) - In the original German! (with English subtitles).
    Season #1 is only 6 episodes, so I only needed to get through 5 more
45-minute episodes yesterday to binge it out, so I decided to bite the
bullet and finish the series on Sunday.
    This show is pretty bingeable if you are OK with YA romance schlock
- at least it looks good, the leads are attractive (and the "handsome
rich boy's" sister is even more attractive!). There are twists and turns
along the way - including a reversion to asshole form from "handsome
rich boy", which again caused me to question why we should want these
two to get together! (Yeah, there are extenuating circumstances and
reasons - but he's still an asshole!)
    The series does luck out by having a good villain - the "handsome
rich boy's" father is a real piece of work (almost supervillain
territory!). The series wouldn't be as enjoyable without the strong villain.
    We do finally get to the hott sexx!!1! in the season finale - and
this being European (German), we actually do get some naked nudity out
of this! (If this were an American YA romance series, there wouldn't be
a hint of nudity - outside of possible a dude ass shot!)
    At the end, there's a plot development (it's not exactly a "twist")
that I didn't see coming, which I guess will set up a season #2.
    I can't imagine this one going more than two seasons - season #3
would be in college, and it wouldn't be "Maxton Hall" anymore!

golf - Well, it went down to the final hole on the Memorial, but Scottie
Scheffler never relinquished the lead to Collin Morikawa, so Morikawa
had to settle for second place. Canuck Adam Hadwin fell off through the
back-9, but managed to hold on to solo third.

Gaslit by My Husband: The Morgan Metzer Story (Lifetime) - OK, now I see
why they put this on Sunday night instead of Saturday night, despite
starring Jana Kramer - this wasn't very good.
    Kramer stars as a woman married to a narcissist (Austin Nichols). In
the film's open their baby dies after birth. But they soon have twins.
Over time, the husband becomes more erratic and abusive. But he's
"clever" - he keeps turning around the abuse, and making it look like
the wife is unstable and instigating it.
    Unfortunately, that sounds more interesting than the film that was
executed here.
    It takes Kramer's character way too long to catch on, and she gets
basically zero support from friends and family (including her bestie who
straight up knew that the husband was slapping her around), which
strained my suspension of disbelief.
    The ending is kind of good - the husband (now ex-husband!) stages a
home invasion robbery so he can beat the crap out of her when she
rejects him yet again, but she catches on during the assault and tricks
him by professing her "love" for her husband to the "intruder". So the
intruder" beats it out of there, and then the ex-husband just manages to
show up immediately after!?!
    Then the uniformed cops show up, and she slyly lets them know that
the ex-husband was actually the intruder/assaulter, and the cops who
show up actually play it cool and sly, to gather evidence of his guilt,
before taking him down. This scene was a nice change of pace for
Lifetime which usually portrays cops as either indifferent, incompetent
or actually complicit!!

Follower (Tubi) - A (very!) low-budget "thriller" from 2022 starring
(Lifetime's) Revell Carpenter, Gigi James and Molly Leach as three young
women who go hiking/camping in the Nevada while being stalked by an
online "hunter" group called the Wolf Pack - particularly one individual
stalker (with a crossbow).
    Eventually, some violent mayhem ensues. (And, of course, the main
stalker is a garden variety misogynist!)
    This barely clocks in at 60 minutes, so it's quick.
    It's OK for what it was.
    Apparently, there's a 2024 sequel called "Followers" (whose IMDb
entry I may have screwed up without realizing it - oops!!) - I guess if
that comes to Tubi, I will check it out.

What did you watch?