Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v4909a$uu2c$1@dont-email.me>

From: Martin Brown <'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Quantum mystics
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2024 09:01:45 +0100

On 10/06/2024 22:43, Jeroen Belleman wrote:
> On 6/10/24 19:03, Martin Brown wrote:

>> Experimentally it is quite a tour de force!
>>
>> Physical intuition tends to break down when you have a superposition
>> of quantum states involved. Attempting to know which slit a particle
>> actually went through destroys the interference pattern and
>> experiments using ultra low flux levels with just a single photon in
>> at any one time still show a diffraction pattern. QM is decidedly
>> counter intuitive.
>>
>> Explores all available paths mathematics gets the right results but I
>> can't help feeling that there is a way to avoid the action at a
>> distance implied by quantum entanglement when we get all of the
>> physics correct.
>>
>> I didn't think his talk was all that outrageous. A bit over simplified
>> perhaps but then avoiding almost all of the maths that is inevitable.
>>

> Over-simplified to the point of being devoid of meaning, indeed.

That is the problem with popular science lectures about QM. This one - a
Nobel prize lecture by Serge Heroche from 2012 is a lot more meaty and
the experimental techniques they used and perfected are breathtakingly
cunning. The audience has quite a few famous physicists in it.

He is wonderfully self effacing and shares the credit for the success of
his experiments very generously with his co-winner many collaborators,
his team and graduate students.

Non destructive sensing of single atom quantum states is incredibly
impressive! I didn't know until I saw that talk that the Schrodinger's
cat wavefunction has been experimentally verified.

Basically he has constructed a real life particle in a box experiment!

It took ultracold superconducting hyper polished mirrors to realise it.

--
Martin Brown