Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v4bisq$1hptf$1@dont-email.me>

From: Pancho <Pancho.Jones@proton.me>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: rPI Goes Public
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2024 08:31:38 +0100

On 12/06/2024 03:00, 26xh.0717 wrote:
> https://www.euronews.com/business/2024/06/11/raspberry-pi-shares-rise-by-more-than-a-third-on-london-market-debut
>
> British microcomputer maker Raspberry Pi launched its initial
> public offering (IPO) today on the London Stock Exchange (LSE)
> after pricing its shares at 280p.
>
> For now, only conditional trading is allowed, which means that
> only some select investors will be able to trade the company’s
> shares, with the majority of retail investors having to wait
> until Friday 14 June, when trading opens for everyone.
>
> Following the IPO however, Raspberry Pi’s shares soared as
> high as 392p, with the company revealing that it was hoping
> for a valuation of about £541.6 million (€642.48 million).
>
> The Cambridge based group said on its website: “This is a
> watershed moment for Raspberry Pi, and the start of a new
> phase in our evolution: access to the public market will
> enable us to build more of the products you love, faster.

Mighty white of them, while they pocket half a billion quid.

> . . .
>
>    Well, we hope for the best.
>
>    However "faster", unto itself, was never what PIs were
>    supposed to be all about. They are a kind of halfway
>    point between micro-controllers and "real PCs" - a
>    neglected niche they filled quite well along with
>    a few others like BBBs.
>
>    But what are we looking at now, "Pi Desktops" ?
>    "Gamers PIs" ? Sorry, but THOSE niches are packed
>    with strong competition, no money to be made.

The rPi5 is a desktop. Arm desktops is a nascent market.

>    I'd SAY the P5 is maybe as far as they should go in
>    terms of "performance" now (except that Debian went
>    to hell with Worm).

I've not benchmarked, but I think The rPi5 is under-performant compared
to things built on the RK3588 soc. There are clear benefits to something
slightly more powerful.

Continued dominance of both MS Windows and Intel x86 is looking less
certain than it has for decades. The Raspberry Pi is in a good place.

>    More I/O options/interfaces
>    might be a more productive direction. SuperMicro
>    sells some little 5x5 inch boards that have plugs
>    on them for stuff I'd never even heard of in about
>    50 years into computers - had to look up some of
>    them. Each had, and apparently still have, real-world
>    uses. THIS, IMHO, is where PI should be. Kiosk/
>    industrial/robotic/whatever-odd-use.
>
>    There are tons of micro-controllers - Ards are good
>    and have huge libraries now - and "real PCs" of
>    the x86 ilk are just prolific (look up BMax and
>    BeeLink if you want 'small'/affordable), but there
>    is still room in the middle and PI is a known name.

BeeLink etc are good, but I suspect they only exist because Intel are
responding to Arm.

>    Oh ... one RISK of going public, aggressive
>    competitors can buy-out, and exterminate.

Hard to exterminate Arm. The Raspberry Pi Foundation is a bit like
Tesla, anyone can build a Pi like device, but Raspberry Pi have
experience of doing a good job.