Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v4c5q7$1lki1$1@dont-email.me>

From: David Brown <david.brown@hesbynett.no>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: Running an editor from ANSI C
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2024 14:54:31 +0200
 <v3r7v8$1b57j$1@dont-email.me> <v3rek5$1c4i5$1@dont-email.me>
 <v3rrtm$1e6g8$1@dont-email.me> <v3ru84$1eafb$1@dont-email.me>
 <87o78dzw1a.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com> <v3tkmb$1o860$3@dont-email.me>
 <v3uk0l$20s0s$2@dont-email.me> <v3uoeo$21g4g$5@dont-email.me>
 <v3v6jt$23q0b$2@dont-email.me> <v3vk3m$265uv$1@dont-email.me>
 <v44itr$3jn4i$1@dont-email.me> <v46o75$dnnu$1@dont-email.me>
 <v46qj9$e4lf$1@dont-email.me> <v46uha$fj5k$1@dont-email.me>
 <v47c92$hv04$1@dont-email.me> <v4bl16$1ieto$1@dont-email.me>
 <v4bo2g$1iqqi$1@dont-email.me> <v4bre0$1jfqf$2@dont-email.me>
 <v4c567$1l5lm$1@dont-email.me>

On 12/06/2024 14:43, Richard Harnden wrote:
> On 12/06/2024 10:57, Malcolm McLean wrote:
>>
>> But yes, my view is the Baby X FileSystem is going to enhance Baby X
>> and lift it to a new level. The ability to mount an internal
>> filesystem in a small program is very useful indeed.
>>

> Why?
>
> You have an xml file, which is just a text file, and you want to slurp
> that into your babyx - fine, so now you have a large char*.
>
> Now you want to 'mount' that.
> So you can opendir, readdir, ..., fopen something.
>
> All just so that you can fgets?
> Just so you can get a string out of a 'file'.
> A string you basically had a pointer to already.
>
> I'm sorry, but I just cannot see the point.  Seems like you're making it
> way more complicated than it needs to be.  I'm not sure why you think it
> needs to exist at all.  Or why you think it's a good idea.

Exactly my thoughts.

I can appreciate wanting to do this for the fun of it, or the challenge
of it.  People have picked weirder things for their hobby projects.

But I am at a loss to understand why Malcolm thinks this could possibly
be /useful/ for anyone.  We've had lots of "you want to be able to do
this or that", without the slightest hint as to who "you" might be, or
why "you" would want to do anything of the sort.

And /if/ access to the contents of the xml file as individual files is
important and useful, then libfuse would be a vastly more useful and
powerful way to handle it.