Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v4c6e9$1lec5$2@dont-email.me>

From: olcott <polcott333@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Subject: Re: Truthmaker Maximalism and undecidable decision problems --- the
 way truth really works
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2024 08:05:13 -0500

On 6/12/2024 6:33 AM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> Unless it is just true as its nature.
>>>

>> Which Mendelson would encode as: ⊢𝒞
>> A {cat} <is defined as a type of> {animal}.
>
> So, what is that statements truth-maker?
>
> And the truth-maker of that?
>
> You need a set of "first truth-makers" that do not themselves have
> something more fundamental at their truth-makers.

I have always had that and told you about it dozens of times.
Some otherwise meaningless finite strings are stipulated to be
true thus providing these finite strings with meaning.
https://liarparadox.org/Meaning_Postulates_Rudolf_Carnap_1952.pdf
Bachelor(x) <entails> ~Married(x)

If there really is nothing anywhere that makes expression
of language X true then X is untrue.

This covers every truth that can possibly exist, true by
definition, true by entailment, true by observation, true
by an infinite sequence of truth preserving operations.
If nothing makes X true then X is untrue.

>>> And not all things are finite strings.
>>>

>> Every expression of language that is {true on the basis of its meaning}
>> is a finite string that is connected to the expressions of language that
>> express its meaning.
>
> And that just gets you into circles,

A tree of knowledge has no cycles. Willard Van Orman Quine
was too stupid to see this.
https://www.ditext.com/quine/quine.html

> as the expression of language that
> expresses its meaning needs a truth-maker too, and that need one for it,
> and so one.

Some expressions of language are stipulated to be true
thus giving them meaning. Rudolf Carnap may have been
the first to formalize this with his meaning Postulates.

https://liarparadox.org/Meaning_Postulates_Rudolf_Carnap_1952.pdf
Bachelor(x) <entails> ~Married(x)

> You need a primative base that is accepted without proof, as there is
> nothing to prove it, and that base defines the logic system you are
> going to work in.

>>> but what makes the definition "true"? What is its truth-maker?
>>>
>>> Not everything has a truth-maker, because it might be a truth-maker
>>> itself.
>>
>> Basic facts are stipulated to be true.
>> "A cat is an animal" is the same basic fact expressed
>> in every human language and their mathematically
>> formalized versions.
>>

> So, basic facts do not have a truth-maker in their universe.

True by definition is their truthmaker.

> But "A cat is an animal" is NOT a statement that is true in every
> system, as some systems might not HAVE a concept of "cat" in it at all,
> so that would be a non-sense expression, or might even define it to be
> something else.

*That has already been covered by this*
When we ask the question: What is a truthmaker? The generic answer is
whatever makes an expression of language true <is> its truthmaker.

This entails that if there is nothing in the universe that makes
expression X true then X lacks a truthmaker and is untrue.

> YOu still keep on running into the problem that youu mind clearly
> doesn't understand that expresability of logic, and you are stuck just
> not understanding how abstractions work.

Not at all. The problem is that you have not yet paid
100% complete attention to ALL of my words.