Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v4cfsb$1n5q0$2@dont-email.me>

From: Bill Sloman <bill.sloman@ieee.org>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Challenger
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2024 01:46:13 +1000

On 12/06/2024 6:31 pm, Martin Brown wrote:
> On 12/06/2024 06:17, Bill Sloman wrote:

>>> Read the book if you have the chance.
>>>
>>> Space exploration has little value outside its cultural impact.
>>
>> And this will continue to be true until we find something interesting.
>> The nature of exploration is that we don't know what we will find
>> until we find it.
>
> OTOH we are much better equipped at remote sensing than they were. Our
> robotics have now reached the point where they can do almost everything
> that a man can do and they don't need feeding and air whilst in transit.

What they can't do is notice the unexpected.

> They also have multispectral imaging beyond what a human eye can see.
> The vacuum of space is an incredibly hostile environment humans are far
> too fragile to survive for long without a lot of support.

The "hostility" is perfectly credible, and well documented. It can kill
you even faster than an arctic or antarctic winter, if something goes wrong.

> Sending humans to explore any of the interesting places in our solar
> system is doomed to failure.

Twaddle. It has to be done carefully, and you'd need a very good reason
to do it at all, but an "interesting place" has to be interesting for a
reason.

> At best it will be a "Big Brother" reality
> TV show with real teeth. John you have been voted out of the spacecraft:
> the airlock is over there. You are the weakest link - goodbye.

That's an idiotic proposition. If you want to make money out of
revolting inter-person competitions, you won't want to spend a lot of
time and money getting the contestants out to some extra-planetary
location, which lying about where they were would be so much cheaper.

> At worst we would contaminate a pristine unique independently evolved
> biological environment with terrestrial micro organisms that hitch a
> ride with us. A bit like introducing rats or hedgehogs onto remote
> islands full of creatures that are unable to deal with such threats.

It's easy enough to avoid.

>> Residents of Australian find it perfectly sensible that people kept
>> poking around the Pacific until Cooke found Australia and mapped
>> enough of it to suggests that it might be worth establishing a colony
>> there.
>>
>> Most the residents of North America with European ancestry would think
>> much the same about Columbus and his daft misconceptions about the
>> size of the earth, if they thought about the matter at all.
>
> There isn't anywhere remotely habitable that we can see within striking
> distance at the moment. North pole of the moon might be OK for a small
> lunar research base in the same way as we have in Antarctica and the far
> side of the moon would be a nice radio quiet spot for radio telescopes
> to use frequencies that are impossible from the Earth. That is about it.

With the advantages we can see today.There may be others we haven't
thought about yet.

> Going to Mars with current technologies will merely result in the deaths
> of the astronauts that we send. NASA doesn't deliberately set out to do
> one way suicide missions (unlike some vocal proponents of manned Mars
> exploration).

It would be likely to result in the deaths of some the astronauts sent.
It's highly unlikely to kill off the lot.

> The main purpose of the ISS was to distract redundant Russian rocket
> scientists away from ICBM design (and I suppose it worked for a while).
>
> Most of the "research" done on that low gravity platform wouldn't pass
> muster at a high school science fair. It has fostered international
> co-operation though - especially during the period where the US had to
> rely on Russian space vehicles for transit to and from the ISS.

Perhaps. The cube-sats now being sent up seem to be a very mixed bunch,
if I'm to believe what my acquaintances tell me, and make money in
variety of different ways, all of which sound plausible. No people yet.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

www.norton.com