Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v4ci7j$1ns1c$1@dont-email.me>

From: Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-06-11 (Tuesday)
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2024 09:26:26 -0700

On 6/11/2024 7:23 PM, shawn wrote:
> On this day I watched THE IMITATION GAME from 2014. A wonderful movie
> about the sad life of Alan Turing. Someone who can truly be called the
> father of modern computing. The story is mostly a bit of his child
> hood at one the British boarding schools with the obligatory harsh
> treatment of anyone seen as out of the ordinary and his work during
> World War II in breaking the Enigma machine cryptography. Such poor
> treatment of the man after all he did during the war and the lives he
> helped saved that helped lead to his eventual suicide at a young age
> (only in his early 40s.) All because he was homosexual and that was
> very much against the law in the 40s/50s.
>
> What did you watch?

I watched:

Batman: Assault on Arkham (blu-ray) - 2014 direct to video animated
movie.  I'm slowly making my way through the DC Animated Universe (DCAU)
movies heading to the "Tommorrowverse" and "Crisis" movies.  I own close
to all of them.  Most I've already watched, but a lot of the more recent
ones, I haven't gotten too yet.  I have a list to help me keep track of
where I left off.  I went to get the next two on the list and noticed a
couple of movies sitting on the shelf that weren't on the list.  Turns
out in addition to the DCAU there are also "standalone" movies and
Batman: Assault on Arkham is considered a "standalone" and not part of
the DCAU. I went ahead and watched it.  Basically Amanda Waller (CCH
Pounder) sends a group of super villains on a suicide mission with the
promise of exploding their heads if they refuse to go, or time off their
sentence if they obey.  The plot was convoluted!  I'm still not entirely
sure what their objective was.  Anyway, it was otherwise OK.

Justice League: Throne of Atlantis (blu-ray) 2015 direct to video
animated movie.  This is the next flick in the DCAU.  Following the
events of  "Justice League: War" the League is a League in name only
with no one showing up to meetings.  A nuclear submarine is attacked in
the middle of the Atlantic so the government sends Cyborg (Shemar Moore)
to investigate.  He is also attacked but escapes.  Cyborg then calls the
League together to investigate this new undersea threat.  Meanwhile
"Arthur Curry" (Matt Lanter) learns he is the future King of Atlantis
but his evil half brother King Orin (also voiced by Matt Lanter) is
trying to provoke a war.  Basically it's almost the exact same plot as
the live action movie except with the Justice League thrown in.  It was
generally pretty good except I was very annoyed by how Orin was able to
almost single-handedly take out the entire Justice League with his magic
Trident. He had some serious plot shield going on because Superman
should have been able to single shot him and ended the whole thing in
seconds.  Anyway by the end Aquaman is part of the League and they are
basically a team now.