Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v4eadc$263dv$2@dont-email.me>

From: "R.Wieser" <address@is.invalid>
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: programming/scripting on an Android device - suggestions ?
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2024 10:24:24 +0200

Dave,

> PY4A - Python for Android - ran on SL4A. But I suspect you need
> an old version of Android to run it.

The AndroidManifest.xml of the SL4A APK I downloaded shows a
"targetSdkVersion" of 14, which translates to below Android  v4.1.   And as
AFAIK my phone runs Android 13 ...  Yep, it goes onto the garbage heap. :-\

>> Any ideas about using a Raspberry Pi for it ?
>
> <https://kivy.org/doc/stable/installation/installation-rpi.html>
> The documentaion is extensive but cryptic!
>
> I build and initially test on Linux, but you have to allow for the
> different display size/resolution. A proper keyboard and screen
> is the important thing.

Yikes!  I might be a hobby programmer, but asking a first-timer to configure
something without clear instructions is just asking him to fail.  Which
(having to go thru a gazillion of tries to get the whole thing to work)
isn't really my cup of tea.

> Whether kivy is for you depends what you want to build.

:-)  I started off with the desire to just being able to run a script or
two.  I'm not at all sure what I want to build.  Starting with the famous
"hello world" would be a first step, activating the "buzzer" a likely
second.  But being able to do something with BLE (detecting "beacon"
broadcasts) has been in the back of my mind.    I might even want to build
something which draws stuff in a ... what do you call those apps which have
a full-screen GUI presence ?

> They may call pydroid an IDE, btw, but I'm pretty sure you can run
> scripts developed outside it. QPython was like that.

My consideration was more the opposite of that : if I could run scripts
(written using the IDE or not) without having to interact with the IDE every
time.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser