Article <v4ebrk$26buv$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v4ebrk$26buv$1@dont-email.me>

From: "R.Wieser" <address@is.invalid>
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: programming/scripting on an Android device - suggestions ?
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2024 10:48:14 +0200

Anne,

> You can use one of these, installed on Android:
> *  TermOne Plus
> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.termoneplus>
> *  Termux
> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.termux>
>
> These give you a shell prompt in a terminal emulator window on Android.
> Like a Linux 'Terminal' window, or a Windows 'Command Prompt' window.

Thanks for the links.

> The commands available to you are whatever is already provided by your
> Android device.

:-)  And how do I know what my android device provides ?   Its not like
we're in a cyberpunk world where I would just grab the knowledge chip that
came with the phone and plug it into the socket in my neck.

IOW, I'm a noobie.  Do you know of a(ny) website carrying that kind of info
(and preferrably some examples and perhaps even tutorials too) ?

>>> Other command-line utilities in Android's /system/bin are not APKs.
>>
>> A question though : where would I find the above folder ?  I've got a
>> file browser, but it doesn't show any such folder.
>
> I expect your file browser also does not show the folders where your
> APK apps are installed to.  For example,
> *  Where Firefox is installed:    /data/app/org.mozilla.firefox/
> *  Where MS Edge is installed:    /data/app/com.microsoft.emmx/

True.  I just checked and the best I can find in that direction is an
"/Android" folder with the subfolders "data", "media" and "obb"  (I still
have to check what those are ment for).

> Some ways to *find* the folder /system/bin

Thanks for those instructions.  I saved your message for future reference.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser