Article <v4f98d$2c1v1$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v4f98d$2c1v1$1@dont-email.me>

From: Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-06-12 (Wednesday)
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2024 10:11:41 -0700

On 6/13/2024 9:33 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
>
>> . . .
>
>> I finally got around to watching my recording of Pat Sajak's final
>> "Wheel of Fortune" episode - his closing speech was classy, and the
>> episode/contestants were actually decent with the finalist winning $50k
>> off this final puzzle.
>
> I watched this last Friday. I agree that Sajak went out with class. I
> hadn't watched the show in a long time. I was surprised how few times
> the big wheel was spun, even if they hadn't cut off a round so he could
> say goodbye. Sajak simply added cash bonuses for the three contestants
> early in the show.
>
> Vanna said nothing on air.

That's odd.

> I've thought over the years that if Sajak really wanted that talk show, he
> shouldn't have tried for a bloated imitation of Johnny Carson but a low
> key show like Dick Cavett.

I watched:

The Acolyte (Disney+) - "Destiny" - Flashback episode set 16 years
before the events of the first episode which showed the twins'
backstory.  But the episode was clearly setting up competing versions of
what actually happened.  I found the episode mostly boring.  I watch
Star Wars for space battles and laser swords.  :-)

Presumed Innocent (AppleTV+) - "Bases Loaded" - First episode in a new
series about a D.A. accused of murdering a fellow D.A. that he
previously had an affair with.  So far, it's more or less like the movie
except moving at an even slower pace.

Batman vs. Robin (blu-ray) 2015 DC Animated movie set in the DCAMU.
This is basically Batman vs. The Court of Owls; with Batman's brat
Damien being seduced by them and their kill first policy.  It was pretty
good.  I especially liked an assault on the Batcave by the Court.

Justice League: Gods and Monsters (blu-ray) 2015 DC Animated standalone
movie.  It's basically an elseworlds tale where Zod sent his son to
Earth instead of Jor-El, Batman is a vampire, and Wonder Woman is a "New
God" along with other subtle changes producing an alternate version
Justice League (just those 3) that's a bit more willing to brutally
murder someone than the usual League.  The government maintains an
uneasy alliance with the League that starts to fall apart after someone
starts to frame the League for a series of murders.  This was pretty
good.  I originally wanted to pair this with "Justice League: Crisis on
Two Earths" but instead I'm going to keep powering through the movies in
release order then once I finish that, I might wrap back and pick up any
earlier movies I skipped, like "Crisis on Two Earths."  And that would
also be a good time to watch some of the original "Justice League" TV
series that I picked up on blu-ray way back when and never got around to
watching.