Article <v4gas3$3tn6r$4@i2pn2.org>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v4gas3$3tn6r$4@i2pn2.org>

From: Richard Damon <richard@damon-family.org>
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory
Subject: Re: Truthmaker Maximalism and undecidable decision problems
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2024 22:45:23 -0400
 <v45pfb$3ph0$1@dont-email.me> <v45q1d$3h641$7@i2pn2.org>
 <v45qvp$41qf$1@dont-email.me> <v46na2$3ifov$2@i2pn2.org>
 <v478g9$hcgj$1@dont-email.me> <v48gh2$3kcoe$2@i2pn2.org>
 <v4a1jk$15ems$1@dont-email.me> <v4am8g$3n8ob$1@i2pn2.org>
 <v4aufn$1apao$1@dont-email.me> <v4b1gd$3nf9m$8@i2pn2.org>
 <v4b2sa$1f89t$1@dont-email.me> <v4b32m$3nf9m$10@i2pn2.org>
 <v4b45c$1f89t$3@dont-email.me> <v4c12p$3oop0$2@i2pn2.org>
 <v4cfhu$1nhr0$1@dont-email.me> <v4dc5j$3qbnc$5@i2pn2.org>
 <v4dfdo$1te0b$2@dont-email.me> <v4dg4v$3qbnd$3@i2pn2.org>
 <v4digg$1tsdf$4@dont-email.me> <v4djfe$3qbnd$6@i2pn2.org>
 <v4djtr$1tsdf$7@dont-email.me> <v4dl2i$3qbnc$9@i2pn2.org>
 <v4dlo1$22cmj$1@dont-email.me> <v4dmam$3qbnc$11@i2pn2.org>
 <v4dmuk$22cmj$3@dont-email.me> <v4do86$3qbnd$10@i2pn2.org>
 <v4docm$22o4a$1@dont-email.me> <v4dqb6$3qbnc$14@i2pn2.org>
 <v4dqtt$2379j$1@dont-email.me> <v4el9i$3rsd6$1@i2pn2.org>
 <v4esdh$28g4v$7@dont-email.me>

On 6/13/24 9:32 AM, olcott wrote:
> On 6/13/2024 6:30 AM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> So you disagree that there is an EVERYTHING.
>>> IS THAT ALL YOU KNOW HOW TO DO IS DISAGREE?
>>>

>> No, there is a concept of "Everything" but it is not very usable as a
>> single unified object because parts of it are inconsistant with other
>> parts of it.
>>

> If of EVERYTHING there is NOTHING that does X then X cannot be done.

The problem is that the logic of "everything" can't do as much as the
logic of a restricted set, if anything at all.

For example, in the mahematic of finite numbers (a+b)+c = a+(b+c).

When we add infintes to the mix, we loose that rule.

Thus, when you try to make a system include EVERYTHING, you lose a lot
of the rules you want to use for the more normal cases.

This is one of the things that broke Naive Set Theory, by allowing a set
to be anything, we lost all the rules to keep things organized.

Thus, trying to make a SINGLE UNIFIED logic of everything doesn't work,
as the individual pieces of everything mignt be inconsistant with other
pieces of that everything.

>> You just don't seem to be able to understand these sorts of abstract
>> concepts, which is why you have your problems.
>
> I understand them at a higher level of abstraction than you are
> currently capable of and you have no correct reasoning to show
> otherwise.

I don't think so, or you would be able to start to break down you
statement to things finer. You are stuck at just one level and can't move.

> Most of the best experts in truth-maker theory make this same mistake
> because they define their terms to have subtle incoherence that is
> too abstract to be noticed by them.
>
> *These definitions prove that every truth has a truthmaker*
>
> When we ask the question: What is a truthmaker?
> The generic answer is whatever makes an expression of language true <is>
> its truthmaker.

Except that not all things CAN have a truth maker as you eventually get
to a root idea that doesn't have a truthmaker, not even a statement that
makes it its own truth maker, as THAT statement needs a truth make.

> If of everything there is nothing that makes expression of language X
> true then X is untrue.
>
> X may be untrue because X is false. In that case ~X has a truthmaker.
>
> If neither X nor ~X has a truthmaker then X is not a truth-bearer.

So, what makes the truthmakers truthmakers, you need a more fundamental
truth maker, which take you to infinite depth.