Article <v4ju8f$222a$1@i2pn2.org>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v4ju8f$222a$1@i2pn2.org>

From: joes <noreply@example.com>
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Subject: Re: H(D,D) cannot even be asked about the behavior of D(D)
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2024 11:34:39 -0000 (UTC)
	<v4arp0$1a7uo$1@dont-email.me> <v4b1c3$3nf9n$3@i2pn2.org>
	<v4b50m$1f89t$5@dont-email.me> <v4c12r$3oop0$3@i2pn2.org>
	<v4cjl7$1o4b4$1@dont-email.me> <v4d991$3qbnc$1@i2pn2.org>
	<v4da12$1sioe$1@dont-email.me> <v4dbmf$3qbnc$3@i2pn2.org>
	<v4dcd6$1sioe$3@dont-email.me> <v4df0h$3qbnd$1@i2pn2.org>
	<v4dhf5$1tsdf$2@dont-email.me> <v4dja1$3qbnd$5@i2pn2.org>
	<v4djhf$1tsdf$6@dont-email.me> <v4dk7b$3qbnc$8@i2pn2.org>
	<v4dl3b$225kb$1@dont-email.me> <v4dn5u$3qbnd$8@i2pn2.org>
	<v4dop4$22o4a$2@dont-email.me> <v4dq07$3qbnc$12@i2pn2.org>
	<v4dqq0$2353n$1@dont-email.me> <v4el9m$3rsd6$3@i2pn2.org>
	<v4f3ec$2akmh$2@dont-email.me> <v4g65a$3tn6q$1@i2pn2.org>
	<v4g6vr$2ic0g$1@dont-email.me> <v4gc0b$3tn6r$6@i2pn2.org>
	<v4gcjc$2msea$1@dont-email.me> <v4geab$3tn6r$8@i2pn2.org>
	<v4gg0s$2nim8$2@dont-email.me> <v4ha63$3v16r$2@i2pn2.org>
	<v4hfq9$2sdqr$5@dont-email.me> <v4hp3r$3viml$1@i2pn2.org>
	<v4hv85$3021v$1@dont-email.me>

Am Fri, 14 Jun 2024 12:39:15 -0500 schrieb olcott:
> On 6/14/2024 10:54 AM, joes wrote:

>>> When H and D have a pathological relationship to each other then
>>> H(D,D) is not being asked about the behavior of D(D). H1(D,D) has no
>>> such pathological relationship thus D correctly simulated by H1 is the
>>> behavior of D(D).
What is H1 asked?
>> H is asked whether its input halts, and by definition should give the
>> (right) answer for every input.
> If we used that definition of decider then no human ever decided
> anything because every human has made at least one mistake.
Yes. Humans are not machines.
> I use the term "termination analyzer" as a close fit. The term partial
> halt decider is more accurate yet confuses most people.
I have not seen you use that term before. You have not called it partial.
That was confusing.

>> D by construction is pathological to the supposed decider it is
>> constructed on. H1 can not decide D1. For every "decider" we can
>> construct an undecidable pathological program. No decider decides every
>> input.
> Parroting what you memorized by rote is not very deep understanding.
This was my own phrasing. Can you explain the halting problem proof?
> Understanding that the halting problem counter-example input that does
> the opposite of whatever value the halt decider returns is merely the
> Liar Paradox in disguise is a much deeper understanding.
I know that.

>>> H(D,D) is not even being asked about the behavior of D(D)
>> It can't be asked any other way.
> It can't be asked in any way what-so-ever because it is already being
> asked a different question.
Is that question "Do you answer yes?"?

>>> That definition might be in textbooks,
>>> yet H does not and cannot read textbooks.
>> That is very confusing. H still adheres to textbooks.
> No the textbooks have it incorrectly.

>>> The only definition that H sees is the combination of its algorithm
>>> with the finite string of machine language of its input.
>> H does not see its own algorithm, it only follows its internal
>> programming. A machine and input completely determine the behaviour,
>> whether that is D(D) or H(D, D).
> No H (with a pathological relationship to D) can possibly see the
> behavior of D(D).
That is not a problem with D, but with H not being total.

>>> It is impossible to encode any algorithm such that H and D have a
>>> pathological relationship and have H even see the behavior of D(D).
>> H literally gets it as input.
> The input DOES NOT SPECIFY THE BEHAVIOR OF D(D).
> The input specifies the behavior WITHIN THE PATHOLOGICAL RELATIONSHIP It
> does not specify the behavior WITHOUT THE PATHOLOGICAL RELATIONSHIP.
There is no difference. If an H exists, it gives one answer. D then does
the opposite. H cannot change its answer. Other analysers can see that
H gives the wrong answer.

>>> You already admitted there there is no mapping from the finite string
>>> of machine code of the input to H(D,D) to the behavior of D(D).
>> Which means that H can't simulate D(D). Other machines can do so.
> H cannot simulate D(D) for the same reason that int sum(int x, int y) {
> return x + y; } sum(3,4) cannot return the sum of 5 + 6;

>>> It is my understanding is that it does this much better than anyone
>>> else does. AProVE "symbolically executes the LLVM program".
>> Better doesn't cut it. H should work for ALL programs, especially for
>> D.
> You don't even have a slight clue about termination analyzers.
Why do you say that? A (partial) termination analyser doesn't disprove
the halting problem.

>> H answers that question for every other input.
>> The question "What is your answer/Is your answer right?" is pointless
>> and not even computed by H.
> It is ridiculously stupid to think that the pathological relationship
> between H and D cannot possibly change the behavior of D especially when
> it has been conclusively proven that it DOES CHANGE THE BEHAVIOR OF D
D as a machine is completely specified and a valid Turing machine:
It asks a supposed decider if it halts, and then does the opposite,
making the decider wrong.
Other deciders than the one it calls can simulate or decide it.
D has exactly one fixed behaviour, like all TMs.
The behaviour of H should change because of the recursion, but it has to
make up its mind. D goes "I'm gonna do the opposite of what you said".

>>> If you cannot even ask H the question that you want answered then this
>>> is not an actual case of undecidability. H does correctly answer the
>>> actual question that it was actually asked.
That would be the wrong question.
>> D(D) is a valid input. H should be universal.
> Likewise the Liar Paradox *should* be true or false,
> except for the fact that it isn't.

>>> When H and D are defined to have a pathological relationship then H
>>> cannot even be asked about the behavior of D(D).
>> H cannot give a correct ANSWER about D(D).
> H cannot be asked the right question.
Then H would be faulty.

>> H doesn't need to know. It is programmed to answer a fixed question,
>> and the input completely determines the answer.
> The fixed question that H is asked is:
> Can your input terminate normally?
Does the input terminate, rather.
> The answer to that question is: NO.
If that were so, this would be given to D, since it asks H about itself.
In this case, it would actually terminate. If H said Yes, it would go
into an infinite loop.

>> It can, just not by H.
> How crazy is it to expect a correct answer to a different question than
> the one you asked?

>>> That is a whole other different issue.
>>> The key subset of this is that the notion of undecidability is a ruse.
>> A ruse for what?
There are undecidable problems. Like halting.

>>> If there is no mapping from the input to H(D,D) to the behavior of
>>> D(D) then H cannot possibly be asked about behavior that it cannot
>>> possibly see.
>> It can be asked and be wrong.

>>> Expecting a correct answer to the wrong question is only foolishness.
>> The question is just whether D(D) halts.
>> Where do you disagree with the halting problem proof?
> There are several different issues the key one of these issues [...]
> is that there is something wrong with it along the lines of it being
> isomorphic to the Liar Paradox.
"Something along the lines"? Can you point to the step where you disagree?