Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v4m71a$3vav2$1@dont-email.me>

From: TTman <kraken.sankey@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: British (european?) kitchen counter electric outlets
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2024 09:16:43 +0100

On 10/06/2024 01:41, Don Y wrote:
> On 6/9/2024 3:50 PM, TTman wrote:
>>> Yes, I've seen that.  And, they are *huge* (comparatively speaking;
>>> a duplex receptacle, here, is a ~1x~3 inch device about an inch thick).
>>>
>>> Ours also reside *in* the wall; I seem to remember the ones in England
>>> were "on" the wall (?)
>>
>> In the UK we have slim sockets now.... protruding maybe 2mm from the
>> wall.
>
> So, they fit *into* the wall?  Is the wiring concealed in the wall and
> routed to the outlet(s) from within?

Yes. Our 'old'houses have internal walls made of either brick (4" thick)
and plastered. it's hard to recess the brick to take power sockets, but
quite common. The cabling runs down the cavity (4") between the internal
brickwork and external brickwork. Newer houses have internal stud walls
built from 4x2 and 12mm plasterboard screwed to that. Sockets are easy
to fit on that. By sockets I mean a box to which the power socket is
screwed by way of 2 screws.