Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v4n4cv$4pre$1@dont-email.me>

From: Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-06-15 (Saturday)
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2024 09:36:19 -0700

On 6/16/2024 7:55 AM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> Dogfights - Dogfights of Desert Storm (disc)
> "High above the unforgiving desert, American F-15s faced off against the
> sophisticated Iraqi MiG-25s and MiG-29s, contributing to a quick and
> decisive American victory.  These battles involved some of the most
> cutting-edge technology in the history of air warfare."

I don't recall hearing about any dog fights during that war.  But I was
only a preteen at the time and wasn't following the news super close.

> What Did You Watch?

I watched:

Justice League Dark (blu-ray) 2017 DC animated movie set in the DCAMU.
This one was "R" rated.  The movie opens with various people starting to
see "demons" and violently killing or trying to kill the "demons" in
response.  This prompts the Justice League to respond and realize the
people are hallucinating and the "demons" are just regular people.  The
League theorizes it's magic related.  Batman at first scoffs at the idea
but but he's possessed by "Deadman" (Nicholas Turturro) who sends him to
Constantine (Matt Ryan from the live action series).  They began an
investigation with a team that includes Zatanna, Etrigan the Demon and
eventually Swamp Thing.  This one was really good.  I also noticed this
one seem to have a better than usual score.  I don't normally notice the
score in one of these movies, but this one stood out.

Inside Out 2 (theatrical) New Pixar movie and sequel to 2015's "Inside
Out" which follows the emotions inside a young girl's head.  The first
movie had the emotion "Joy" (Amy Poehler) bullying all the other
emotions until she's forced to come to grips that "Sadness" (Phyllis
Smith) is a valid and important emotion too.  This movie has the young
girl hitting puberty and getting new emotions, "Anxiety," "Envy,"
"Ennui," and "Embarrassment."  Anxiety explains the girl needs more
complex emotions than the original group and Anxiety's job is to plan
for the future.  Joy isn't ready to give up control of the girl
prompting Anxiety and the new emotions to bottle and discard the
original group.  I really liked this movie. The thing I really like
about Pixar movies is on the surface it might look like it's a kid
movie, but they are very much also aimed at adults.  There was a line in
the movie, "I don't know how to stop anxiety.  Maybe that's what happens
when you grow up, you feel less joy." I think that line is going to hit
a lot of people hard.