Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v4n4kp$47m9$1@dont-email.me>

From: "Ian J. Ball" <ijball@mac.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-06-15 (Saturday)
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2024 09:42:01 -0700

On 6/16/24 7:55 AM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:

> What Did You Watch?

I spent much of yesterday doing household chores/cleanup (I will need to
finish the cleanup today). So I got through just a few things...:

April Fool's Day (2008 version) (Tubi) - Whoa! How did I not every see
this before?!!
    Oh, I see why - it's not very good!! (And probably didn't get rerun
much at all on TV...)
    This stars "baby Taylor Cole" (though, this was after "Summerland" -
I swear she looks younger here than she did on "Summerland", but I'm
probably just remembering this wrong...), "baby Josh Henderson", and
"baby Scout Taylor-Compton".
    And I was horrified to learn that their cute, vain married friend
was played by an actress who later grew up to be... Mrs. Gavin Newsom!!
[spit!] Yuck! [spit!] [spit!]
    Anyway, like I said, while this was generally well filmed, and Cole
looks *fabu*!! in this, but this was not a very good movie. And the
ending is about what I expected.
    I've seen comments on Reddit praising the 1987 original "April
Fool's Day" film, but that one is not available on any of my streamers
(not even Tubi) right now...

golf - Bah! Bryson DeChambeau surged on Day 3 of the U.S. Open to take a
3 stroke lead. I'm not saying DeChambeau has this thing sown up, but he
does seem to have this thing mostly sown up, unless he chokes on the
final day.

Station Eleven (Max) - Ep's #9 & #10, the last two episodes.
    The first half(? third?) of ep. #9 was decent, as we go back to
follow-up on what happened to Jeevan and Kirsten after they left Frank's
apartment. Then, we find out, as I had anticipated earlier, that Jeeven
didn't die afterall - but I did not like where the second half of this
episode ended up.
    The finale was way, way, *way* too Pollyanna-ish - none of the bad
guys are punished (like, *at all*!) for their crimes, old friends
reunite, I guess Miranda dies in the initial die-off, and then everyone
parts on good terms.
    That was a whole lot of spin-up, for a whole lot of very little. [roll]
    I did like Jeevan's complaining about the Station Eleven graphic
novel being "so pretentious!" in ep. #9 - spot on.  ;)
    P.S. The character of the teenager Alex (Philippine Velge), who
appears to be novel to the TV series and not from the original book, is
a mess - all over the place in allegiances and motivations. Just poorly
written.
    P.P.S. It looks like a lot of the problems I have are with the TV
series adaptation - from reading the original novel's plotline on Wiki,
it looks like the TV series departed heavily from the original novel's
storyline, esp. the ending.

Yoga Teacher Killer: The Kaitlin Armstrong Story (Lifetime) - This was
pretty much exactly what I expected - Lifetime's take is, not
surprisingly, that Armstrong was an incredibly insecure/needy, bat-shit
*crazy* woman.
    (I like how the subplot was that Armstrong's background in "finance"
made her a bad yoga teacher! - Like "finance" is somehow the root of all
EVOL!!1!  ;>  )
    Armstrong here is played by Caity Lotz (is this typecasting?!  ;p  ).
    The movie also posits that her on-again-off-again boyfriend, Colin
Strickland the cyclist (Kyle Schmid), was a major dummy and douche bag,
something you could easily pick up from the concurrent articles on the
case as it unfolded in 2022. (Though his friend in the film who dumps
him after the murder comes off as an even bigger douche that Strickland!)
    The victim, Moriah Wilson (Larissa Dias, who earlier in her career
went by Larissa Albuquerque), is portrayed as completely innocent and an
unjustified victim, which seems right.
    It's amazing that Armstrong was able to beat it out of the country
like she did - the movie portrays it like she was just 2 minutes ahead
of the cops, but I doubt it was that dramatic. The movie also sort of
implies that Armstrong's sister was complicit in this, but she was never
charged AFAIK.

And what did you watch?