Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v4n4pb$4m1f$1@dont-email.me>

From: KevinJ93 <kevin_es@whitedigs.com>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: British (european?) kitchen counter electric outlets
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2024 09:44:27 -0700

On 6/15/24 7:51 PM, bud-- wrote:
> On 6/11/2024 9:26 PM, Grant Taylor wrote:
>> On 6/10/24 23:45, bud-- wrote:
>>> As I expect you figured out, Christmas lights have tiny wire and need
>>> protection.
>>
>> Christmas lights are just the only example that came to mind in the
>> U.S.A.
>>
>> I would personally prefer to have a 13A fuse on an extension cord
>> plugged into a 15A outlet so that the fuse would blow close to where
>> I'm using the cord instead of having to traipse through a building to
>> the breaker panel.
>>
>>> Probably somewhere in this thread, the UK you have 30-32A ring
>>> circuits and current about half here with correspondingly small cord
>>> wire so you need fuses in plugs.  One fuse?
>>
>> I would think that you'd want to open the (both) hot(s).  Much like
>> how you want a double poll breaker to open both hots on a 240 V
>> domestic load in the U.S.A.
>>
>> Blowing / opening one hot would still leave live power via the other
>> hot in a dual hot cord.
>>

> I think UK is 230V hot-neutral?

Sort of;

The UK is traditionally 240V along with many other UK influenced
countries such as Australia. While mainland Europe was 230V.

To achieve a common standard without any physical changes the tolerances
are asymmetric at 230V +10%/-6%. (As of 2022 the standard has now been
widened to be 230V +10%/-10%).

The UK is normally described as having 240V AC power.

kw