Article <v4q5c7$t6bd$2@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v4q5c7$t6bd$2@dont-email.me>

From: "Chris M. Thomasson" <chris.m.thomasson.1@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: realloc() - frequency, conditions, or experiences about
 relocation?
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2024 13:12:54 -0700

On 6/17/2024 9:58 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
> Malcolm McLean <malcolm.arthur.mclean@gmail.com> writes:
>> On 17/06/2024 10:55, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
>>> Malcolm McLean <malcolm.arthur.mclean@gmail.com> writes:
>>>

>>> I have no idea what you are talking about.  What "value" are you looking
>>> to calculate?
>>>
>> We have a continuously growing buffer,
>
> At this point, you should be asking yourself
> if there are better alternatives for storing
> the incoming data than to a continuously growing
> dynamically allocated piecemeal  buffer.
>
> C character stdio tends to work well for streaming applications
> (i.e. pipelines where the input is (minimally) processed and forwarded
> to the output), but not so efficiently for applications that need to
> look at the data en masse.

Indeed.

> Personnally, I'd mmap the input file and eschew stdio completely
> and just walk through memory with the appropriate pointer.

That works for sure. Actually, its been a while since I have used memory
mapped files. I made a little database thing with them that multiple
processes could use, lock-free... ;^)

Also, I remember a nifty trick to use memory mapped files with certain
lock-free algorithms. I need to find that old post over on
comp.programming.threads. Have a feeling that its going to be hard to find!