Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v4q8cs$tntl$2@dont-email.me>

From: RonB <ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Saved my mom's 2012 Mac Mini from the dump with Linux Mint 21.3
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2024 21:04:28 -0000 (UTC)

On 2024-06-17, Andrzej Matuch <andrzej@matu.ch> wrote:
> On 2024-06-16 20:28, RonB wrote:

>>> It's not going to be a daily machine, so I don't really mind if it's a
>>> little slower than it can be. It's clearly not very fast by today's
>>> standards, but it does the job as it is.
>>
>> Used SSDs are so inexpensive now that I can't imagine using hard drives for
>> anything but backup — even on old machines.
>
> I don't have the screwdrivers needed to open up the Mac Mini anyway.
> Besides, I doubt the machine is worth the few dollars I'd pay to put an
> SSD in there anyway. It works as a backup machine. In fact, I'm using it
> right now as I wait for my laptop to return from Geek Squad (no idea
> when that will be).

So it's your mom's Mac Mini that has found a use? (I hadn't been following
the thread that close. Sorry.) I'm happy to see it up and running. I
sometimes skim the posts too much.

Replacing the main hard drive and adding memory is not hard on the Mac Mini.
Installing a second SSD requires removing the whole motherboard — still not
too bad. But you're right, I believe you need a small "star" screwdriver
set.

I hadn't booted up my Mac Mini in a while. So you reminded me... it needed a
few updates for Monterey. Off again now. With an SSD and 16 GBs of RAM it's
not that slow (either with Linux Mint or with Montery). Dual core, but with
4 threads (I think yours is also the 2012 version).

Sorry for rambling. I'm happy to see the old computer is back up and
running.

--
[Self-centered, Woke] "pride is a life of self-destructive fakery, an
entrapment to a false and self-created matrix of twisted unreality."