Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v4qmot$10jrr$1@dont-email.me>

From: RonB <ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Saved my mom's 2012 Mac Mini from the dump with Linux Mint 21.3
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2024 01:09:49 -0000 (UTC)

On 2024-06-17, Andrzej Matuch <andrzej@matu.ch> wrote:
> On 2024-06-17 5:04 p.m., RonB wrote:

>>> I don't have the screwdrivers needed to open up the Mac Mini anyway.
>>> Besides, I doubt the machine is worth the few dollars I'd pay to put an
>>> SSD in there anyway. It works as a backup machine. In fact, I'm using it
>>> right now as I wait for my laptop to return from Geek Squad (no idea
>>> when that will be).
>>
>> So it's your mom's Mac Mini that has found a use? (I hadn't been following
>> the thread that close. Sorry.) I'm happy to see it up and running. I
>> sometimes skim the posts too much.
>>
>> Replacing the main hard drive and adding memory is not hard on the Mac Mini.
>> Installing a second SSD requires removing the whole motherboard — still not
>> too bad. But you're right, I believe you need a small "star" screwdriver
>> set.
>>
>> I hadn't booted up my Mac Mini in a while. So you reminded me... it needed a
>> few updates for Monterey. Off again now. With an SSD and 16 GBs of RAM it's
>> not that slow (either with Linux Mint or with Montery). Dual core, but with
>> 4 threads (I think yours is also the 2012 version).
>>
>> Sorry for rambling. I'm happy to see the old computer is back up and
>> running.
>
> I'm sure it would be lots faster with an SSD but I can't think of a good
> reason to buy an SSD for it. I should be getting my laptop back this
> week so that slow Mac Mini (and this laptop my wife uses) are enough to
> keep me going. If I need a gaming fix, I just go on over to the Xbox
> Series S and turn on Fallout 4.

There's no real reason for me putting in all the SSDs in all the old
computers I've bought either. I guess it's just a hobby. I do occasionally
give away some of these computers... so there's that, I guess.

At any rate I'm happy the Mac Mini has been made useful and has a new "life"
with Linux Mint.

--
[Self-centered, Woke] "pride is a life of self-destructive fakery, an
entrapment to a false and self-created matrix of twisted unreality."