Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v4rlnp$19qpo$1@dont-email.me>

From: The Last Doctor <mike@xenocyte.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho,uk.media.tv.sf.drwho
Subject: Re: Doctor Who: RTD in the Radio Times.
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2024 09:58:17 -0000 (UTC)

The Doctor <doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote:
> In article <v4p8ql$l86u$1@dont-email.me>,
> The Last Doctor  <mike@xenocyte.com> wrote:
>> solar penguin <solar.penguin@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Good of you to be so candid with us. Or do I mean ‘Candide’?
>>>
>>> Either way, this best-of-all-possible-worlds optimism is an
>>> interesting change from you.
>>>

>> I’ve done a quick fag packet estimate for Disney+ based on iMDB
>> interactions for episode 7 in another thread. If we assume that people
>> rating 3 or more probably watched the episode, even if people rating 1 or 2
>> didn’t, then to date Disney+ has racked up about 2m viewers worldwide so
>> far for The Legend of Ruby Sunday - or about the same as the U.K.
>>

> Do not swear.

I didn’t.

In actual English, that is, in the English used in the England that
developed and still evolves the core version of the language, “fag” has
three well-known meanings : an informal term for a cigarette (“get us a
packet of fags while you’re at the shops mate”), to become fatigued (“I
can’t go on. I’m fagged” - this one derives from “fatigue”) and an archaic
term for younger boys at public school who essentially valeted for the
older boys (“Venables Junior was the Honorable Tim EntitledAndDim’s fag at
Eton”).

Other meanings may have originated in the colonies but they are not in
common use in the U.K. and I’m not from any of those upstart neo-states.
None of the usages in English (as opposed to the bastard child American
English) is swearing. Oh, and a “faggot” is either a meatball or bundle of
sticks to be used as a flaming torch. Also not rude, though the contents of
the meatball are often pretty disgusting (warning - often contains offal).
I used to think they had cow brains in them as well when I was a child, but
it transpired that was just the brand name (Google “Brains Faggots”).

A “fag packet estimate” is a perfectly ordinary and common English term for
an outline solution simple enough to be written on the back of a torn open
cigarette box (twenty’s, typically), for instance when bringing about an
end to world poverty in the pub over the third pint.

--
“Most of the Universe is knackered, babes.”  - The Doctor