Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v4sbm7$1du7s$1@dont-email.me>

From: Martin Brown <'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: British (european?) kitchen counter electric outlets
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2024 17:12:55 +0100

On 17/06/2024 22:41, Liz Tuddenham wrote:
> Martin Brown <'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> wrote:
>
> [...]
>> The house design he describes is relatively modern transition probably
>> around the 1930's. Pre 1910 and solid wall is much more likely.
>
> I don't know how common this was, but a house I lived in, which was
> built in 1901, had cavity walls.  All the terraces of houses in that
> area, which were built between 1895 and 1905, had cavity walls, even
> though they were built down to a price for sale to ordinary working
> families.

That is early for cavity walls. It is possible that in cities the larger
builders doing big projects used it sooner than those out in the sticks.

Stuff built as late as 1910 in my vicinity of North Yorks (and by a
respected landowner and ironmaster) are all solid wall construction in
best quality Edwardian high fired brick. It was and still is a model
Edwardian village - architects still come here to study.

Mostly Grade II listed buildings too so any improvements have to be done
very very carefully to preserve the external appearance.

The really expensive landed gentry properties here are in grit stone or
sandstone (which is slightly porous so not an ideal building material).

--
Martin Brown