Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v4tkrl$1bpq$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

From: Andrew <andrew@spam.net>
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Android keyboard: your choice.
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2024 03:55:33 -0000 (UTC)

Andy Burns wrote on Tue, 18 Jun 2024 21:27:34 +0100 :

>> Any reason why it would need the READ_CONTACTS permission ?
>
> According to a comment on an issue/question in github
>
> "It's for adding contact names to suggestions and spell check."

Look here: <https://i.postimg.cc/rpJQj8vx/heliboard04.jpg>

1. Mine is turned off, by default, for some reason.
   android.permission.READ_CONTACTS = dangerous, revoked

2. When dealing with permissions, it's not what the "purpose" of the
   permission is that is worrisome, it's the "capability" of it (e.g.,
   maybe *other* apps can make use of the data, e.g., Firebase).

3. This is what Muntashirakon App Manager says about the permission.
   "Allows the app to read data about your contacts stored
    on your phone. Apps will also have access to the
    accounts on your phone that have created contacts.
    This may include accounts created by apps you have
    installed. This permission allows apps to save your
    contact data, and malicious apps may share contact
    data without your knowledge"

On my phone, there are no accounts. Nor are there contacts in the default
sqlite database location; but most people will have both of those, right?