Article <v4ulus$1vpm0$5@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v4ulus$1vpm0$5@dont-email.me>

From: olcott <polcott333@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Subject: Re: Simulating termination analyzers by dummies --- What does halting
 mean?
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2024 08:20:28 -0500
 <v4p9mb$lavj$1@dont-email.me> <v4qe53$a0nm$1@i2pn2.org>
 <v4qn65$10qh6$1@dont-email.me> <v4qnkf$a0nm$5@i2pn2.org>
 <v4qpvo$10qh6$2@dont-email.me> <v4qrmd$a0nm$6@i2pn2.org>
 <v4qrr8$15beg$1@dont-email.me> <v4qsav$a0nn$3@i2pn2.org>
 <v4qtaa$15gc5$1@dont-email.me> <v4qu3p$a0nm$7@i2pn2.org>
 <v4quti$15nn8$1@dont-email.me> <v4rrge$bivn$1@i2pn2.org>
 <v4s1l0$1boeu$6@dont-email.me> <v4seq5$cbcu$1@i2pn2.org>
 <v4sfuo$1enie$1@dont-email.me> <v4tf26$ddeo$6@i2pn2.org>
 <v4tfsj$1oosn$1@dont-email.me> <v4u6i3$ec9m$2@i2pn2.org>

On 6/19/2024 3:57 AM, joes wrote:

>>> And then are no longer UTMs, and YES, if a machine based on such am
>>> modifed UTM (so it is no long a UTM) when the UTM stops simulating, we
>>> can not say the input halted, nor can we say it didn't halt.
>> When such a UTM has been adapted to only simulate the first ten states
>> of its input TMD, then every simulated TMD with more than ten states did
>> not terminate normally.

> You are confusing the machines with their simulators. No longer simulating
> has nothing to do with the simulatee. It does not "know" it is being
> simulated. That is entirely in the power of the simulator. Only it can
> freely choose to simulate more steps. The simulated machine then proceeds.
>
>>> The not-a-UTM just came to a no-answer state.
>> I have to go one-step-at-a-time with everyone or they get overwhelmed
>> and leap to the conclusion that I am wrong.

I am establishing the notion of abnormal termination for Turing
machines within the standard terms of the art.

>>> The answer will be provided by useing an ACTUAL UTM that keeps on
>>> going, or the direct execution of the machine,
>> You are stuck on the idea that repeating states cannot be recognized in
>> a finite number of steps.

> Oh, they can. It's just that repeating states don't halt in a finite
> number of steps.

void DDD()
{
   H0(DDD);
}

Richard cannot understand that H0 can correctly determine in a
finite number of steps that DDD correctly emulated by H0 cannot
halt in a finite number of steps. I used to think that he was
lying about this. It seems that the actual case is that I
overestimated his skill level.

Now that he says that when Bonita said "Everything correct"
he is taking this to mean something is wrong I am back to
thinking that he might be a liar.